5 week old chick not growing?

Stef82

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 19, 2012
Bucks County, Pa
This little girl/guy is very small for it's age. This little one is an olive egger (which I've never seen an OE that is not black). All the rest of it's mates are fully feathered and thriving. This little peep is the size of a two week or three week old chick. It eats, drinks, does everything what a little peeper would do. BUT for growing! What is going on with it? No mites, nothing wrong. Just staying tiny. It's kept in a cage for now with 2 week old chicks since all the other 6 week old chicks are huge.
Picture of the tiny runt with 10 day old chicks.It's located Third from the left. It's next to the dark brown chick on the right.

I hope it doesn't come down to it getting sick. :( possibly a genetic defect or when it was with its siblings, maybe they didn't let it eat much. so I placed it with the younger group to hopefully see a difference.

I have a little splash Ameraucana out of a BBS pen that hatched just after Christmas that is half the size of it's sister.

It's feathers look funny, but it is a voracious eater and very inquisitive and always in my face.

Can't wait to see what it grows into. At this point I'm saying it's smaller than a bantam so I suppose it will give me very small, blue eggs.

I hope it doesn't come down to it getting sick.
sad.png
possibly a genetic defect or when it was with its siblings, maybe they didn't let it eat much. so I placed it with the younger group to hopefully see a difference.

Yes I have my six week old in with my two week olds and day olds right now. They are about the same size (the 2 week old and the 6 week old). Her head isn't even getting any feathers at all yet.

It seems much happier in with the babies and spends its time under the light. I don't really think it will thrive.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom