5 Week Old Khaki Campbell Babies & Gender Question

Rhonda0115

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Central Missouri
I have 3 KC ducklings and they are just about 5-6 weeks old. They have most of their adult feathering almost in and I noticed their heads just have a little bit of down still but most of it is gone. All are the same soft brown coloring on their head and I don't see any dark/green coloring. Can I safely say they are girls? Or can the heads still darken up as they get older. I can't tell from the buttons on their beaks as one is dark brownish, one is pinkish and another is almost a grayish/brownish color. They are still baby peeping and haven't really developed their quack or rasp yet.

Please tell me they are girls (??)
fl.gif

If they are only 5-6 weeks old, you are seeing the juvenile feathers. Unfortunately, they all look the same at this age!
Wait another month or so and they should start getting their adult feathers in. By then, if you have any drakes they will get darker heads.
You should be able to voice sex them in another 2-3 weeks as well. That's an easy indicator of gender as well.

One thing, not always correct, but sometimes it is. What color are their feet? I find that most of the males will have orange feet while the females tend to have darker colored feet. Not always correct, but in some cases it does prove to be :)

If they are only 5-6 weeks old, you are seeing the juvenile feathers. Unfortunately, they all look the same at this age!
Wait another month or so and they should start getting their adult feathers in. By then, if you have any drakes they will get darker heads.
You should be able to voice sex them in another 2-3 weeks as well. That's an easy indicator of gender as well.

One thing, not always correct, but sometimes it is. What color are their feet? I find that most of the males will have orange feet while the females tend to have darker colored feet. Not always correct, but in some cases it does prove to be :)
Well bummers....was so hoping to be able to figure it out but I truly appreciate your guidance in this. I honestly haven't paid much attention to their feet but will look tonight. They are usually under my feet anyways
love.gif
I seem to be "Mommy" and they follow me around the yard. I have them with 4 little Pekin ducklings (girls) that are the same age. My older Pekin girls seem to really enjoy the little ones (even though they aren't the Mamas).

I am sooo hoping I don't have drakes...nothing wrong with drakes but wanting girls for the eggs.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Well bummers....was so hoping to be able to figure it out but I truly appreciate your guidance in this. I honestly haven't paid much attention to their feet but will look tonight. They are usually under my feet anyways
love.gif
I seem to be "Mommy" and they follow me around the yard. I have them with 4 little Pekin ducklings (girls) that are the same age. My older Pekin girls seem to really enjoy the little ones (even though they aren't the Mamas).

I am sooo hoping I don't have drakes...nothing wrong with drakes but wanting girls for the eggs.

Thank you so much for your help!!

If you didn't specifically order females from a hatchery you will probably have males in the bunch though with only three, who knows? As learycow says, wait another 2 weeks or so and the feathers and voices should tell the story. The males won't quack but kind of rasp and they will develop a curled tail feather arrangement. Their heads can range from brown to green and some combo of everything in between. They usually have orange feet and should have a greenish bill though my drake has a yellow bill, as some will.

Here is a photo of my flock of six I took today as they were frolicking in the spring run.

If you didn't specifically order females from a hatchery you will probably have males in the bunch though with only three, who knows? As learycow says, wait another 2 weeks or so and the feathers and voices should tell the story. The males won't quack but kind of rasp and they will develop a curled tail feather arrangement. Their heads can range from brown to green and some combo of everything in between. They usually have orange feet and should have a greenish bill though my drake has a yellow bill, as some will.

Here is a photo of my flock of six I took today as they were frolicking in the spring run.
So I got home today and went out to the duck run. Caught one of them and the tips of his wing has blue colored feathers coming in....drake?

So I got home today and went out to the duck run. Caught one of them and the tips of his wing has blue colored feathers coming in....drake?

Don't like the sound of the blue feathers. Can you post some photos?

Here is my first flock of Khakis at nearly 6 weeks old in 2011. Eight of these turned out to be drakes.

Here they are again at 14 weeks.

Don't like the sound of the blue feathers. Can you post some photos? Here is my first flock of Khakis at nearly 6 weeks old in 2011. Eight of these turned out to be drakes. Here they are again at 14 weeks.
You look like you've got 5 drakes there. :/ the green heads and lighter bodies are a dead give away. Oh and the really bright Orange feet is a give away too

Back
Top Bottom