5 week old silkies eating pine shavings

BriElaine

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2018
I have two Silkies, 5 weeks old tomorrow. They have just been switched off of paper towels about a week ago, and now they are scratching (which I expected) but now they are taking a liking to the pine shavings. There are only 2 in this brooder with a water and food dish, plenty big enough for both. I know that they are aware of where there food is and that they both have plenty enough space to eat. My question is, is this going to affect them? They are only eating the tiniest little slivers of pine, but I just don't want it to hurt them. I have read mixed reviews on pine, but I didn't think it would be a huge deal since I didn't transition off of the paper towels for so long. So far there are no signs of it being a problem, but I don't want to chance it becoming one.

How young should you start them on grit? And any suggestions on what type? I have them on manna pro medicated feed, but I hadn't started them with any grit yet. I had read that for the first month or so they wouldn't need it, but to add oyster shells (or any form of grit) around 2 months or once you provide them with other forms of food or treats. Or that some don't use grit at all. They are outside usually once a day for a couple of hours with my supervision (weather permit) and scratching and eating everything they can find. Other than that, medicated starter is their main diet. I know everyone has their own preference, but I want to make sure they get enough grit to keep from impacting their gizzard in case they get ahold of something bigger while they're in the coop.

I personally start giving chicks grit as soon as I get them. For very little chicks, "chick grit" is the appropriate size. You can either sprinkle a little on their food, or put some in a dish on the side. After about 8-10 weeks or so I go to the next size (usually marked "pullet") and then at 16-18 weeks or so they're on "hen" or adult size, whatever's the largest I can find.

Oyster shell does not function as grit. It's for calcium. Save that for when they begin laying, for strong eggshells.

Back
Top Bottom