5 week old Silver Laced Wyandotte gender question

MemphisChickens

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Memphis, TN
Well I sadly re homed my black jersey giant roo and so I went and got 2 five week old chicks on friday to coop up with my 9 week old buff orpington so she wouldn't be lonely. 1 is a buff orpington and 1 is a silver laced wyandotte. My son just picked up the first one he could get out of the bin and we are hoping she is not a he. This is my forst experience with chickens and I am exhausted and sad from having to deal with all the roos we have gotten and had to find homes for. We still have 1 possible roo who is 11 weeks today and he is the sweetest chicken... so far. We can't have 2 roosters so if this little one is a roo he will have to go back to the feed store asap. They guaranteed her to be a hen and said they would take her back if she turned out to be roo. Any guesses on gender so far?
Also her coloring is very dark and I am wondering if this is normal for a SLW and if anyone has any pictures of their SLW looking like this as a chick and what they look like now. I tried to find a SLW thread on the "Breed" Index to see if there was a group posting pictures and discussing the breed, but no such luck
sad.png

Thanks!!

84766_zia_peep_and_ebo_may_22_2011.jpg

84766_ebo_may_22_2011_-2.jpg

84766_ebo_may_22_2011.jpg

She does have the 'correct' kind of comb and my guess would be a pullet (girl) at this point. I'm sorry that you've not had much luck with your first experience.
welcome-byc.gif

I hope I am right! Wait a few weeks and post pictures again.. might have a better idea then.

nooooooooooo ughhhhhhhhh So ... do you think in another 2 weeks I will be able to tell for sure. I just can't get attached again and re home "him" or take him back to the feed store, it's just heart breaking and I can't have 2 roosters. WHY does this keep happening???

I just can't seem to come home without a rooster and it's so frustrating.

I hope she is not a roo
sad.png

Quote:
I'd vote Pullet for now, both of my girls had combs that size at 3weeks but they really never much larger, at about 8-10 weeks you'll have a better idea, but for now, I'm seeing nothing that says roo.

58941_camilla_5_weeks_2.jpg

Looks very similar to yours right now, and at 11 weeks you can see the combs are about the same, so don't give up yet!

58941_slws.jpg

Back
Top Bottom