5 week still pooping bright red blood after 2 days of Corid

Pics

8kbakers

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2018
I am giving my little rooster 1/2 tsp per quart of 9.6% liquid corid in his water. In the past when I dealt with coccidia the blood went away fairly quickly. His stools actually look worse today than they did when he started. How long should it take for the blood to stop?

I had that happen once before... and tested to confirm.

Is he drinking the water? I would do a drench dose directly to the beak...

An note that some coccidia have become resistant to amprolium and require treatment with a sulfa drug.

Sorry I cannot confirm dose accuracy.... @Eggcessive or @casportpony are very reliable at this stuff. I will work to bookmark the information so I can access easily instead of counting on my memory for the recall.

:fl

That dosage is fine for Corid. Corid usually starts helping within a day or two. Blood can be from damaged intestinal walls. If he is acting more sick, you may want see a vet to get some sulfa antibiotic (sulfadimethoxine, bactrim, SMZ-TMP, etc.) It usually comes from a vet prescription or visit. In the meantime give him 2-3 drops of undiluted Corid at twice a day to increase the amount he is getting. Offer the medicated water often, and try mixing some into some chick feed if he is eating.

Yes he getting a bolus of 0.2 cc per day of straight Corid. He is eating very well. I do see him drinking from the waterer so I think he's taking it in ok. He acts fine and talks, preens, etc. I just can't seem to get the blood to stop. Even in his noncecal poops there is orange in them still.

You can also mix her feed with medicated water (corid or sulfa) to make a mash in place of dry crumble or pellets. I’ve had a roo not respond to corid but 2 days of SMZ-TMP worked wonders! I think you *might* be able to order online something similar intended for fish (fish sulfa forte)?

Here are pics taken at various times over two days. Sorry I posted top pic twice. I'm new here. Learning curve. Top pic was taken Friday and I think the bottom was Saturday morning. Today is Sunday and I haven't been out yet to check since it's so early. Will update though.

IMG_6764.JPG
IMG_6764.JPG
IMG_6767.JPG
IMG_6760.JPG

I'm not sure what to do about sulmet. Before all of this started, his eyelids and beak started to turn yellowish. I've only had him two weeks and he wasn't like that beforehand. I assumed it was just the feed doing it. But then I started noticing a yellow tinge on his urates. I'm not sure if he has anything liver going on or not and sulmet is so hard on their liver. I just don't know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom