1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5 weeks old , any guess on gender ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by buff goose guy, Apr 13, 2016.

1. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Hello all I have 2 chicks both are bantam breeds

I have a seabright and I think that it is a girl [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a bantam Cochin I am unsure of the gender [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would very much like to get them out of my bedroom as the cats have run of the rest of the house, I would like to put them outside but I cannot put another male outside so knowing the genders would really help.

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    They both look female at this point. But 5 weeks is still early for certainty. Usually bantams telecast earlier (especially bantam Cochins), so it looks good that you've got pullets.

I'm not sure why you are concerned about another male? You could get them out of the house now, assuming you acclimate them to the ambient outdoor temperature first. The males shouldn't be crowing for another 5 weeks or so...shouldn't. These aren't early developers, if per chance they might be male, so I don't think you'll have crowing any time soon.

Do you have other chickens that will bother them? 5 weeks of age is too early to integrate into an adult flock if that is the case. They would likely be heavily hazed since they are so small.

LofMc

1 person likes this.
  3. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    No I have call ducks and I don't want any male to spur one of them during the chickens breeding season.

Thank you for the hope of both females.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  4. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    anyone else ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by