5 year old hen with a swollen eye šŸ˜° please help!!!

Mar 22, 2019
Maine
Diatomaceous Hi everyone! I noticed over a week ago one of my hens has a swollen under eye... I have been trying to treat it , but I have no idea what I am treating never seen it before. I have tried VetRx in her sinus opening inside and at the roof of her beak and I have put terramycin in her eye also antibiotics in her water... tried sprinkling food Grade Diatomaceous in corner of her eye... nothing seems to be working and her eye is getting worse. She has no other symptoms other then her eye. Has anyone on here seen this kind of thing. Thank you all in advance ā¤ļøšŸ˜­ā¤ļø
6D80F651-68E1-4C99-BEB1-9DE092D58412.jpeg

I noticed over a week ago one of my hens has a swollen under eye... I have been trying to treat it , but I have no idea what I am treating never seen it before. I have tried VetRx in her sinus opening inside and at the roof of her beak and I have put terramycin in her eye also antibiotics in her water... tried sprinkling food Grade Diatomaceous in corner of her eye.
If you press on the swelling can you get any pus out? Have you flushed the eye with saline and looked in it really well to see if there's any debris that is stuck in there?
It looks infected, if you have vet care that would be best - it may need to be lanced to remove pus or it's possible it may be something else.

I would not put DE in the eye.
What type of antibiotics did you give? Generally antibiotics are helpful for infections, but if there is pus, then it has to be physically removed - chicken pus does not dry up with medication.

If you press on the swelling can you get any pus out? Have you flushed the eye with saline and looked in it really well to see if there's any debris that is stuck in there?
It looks infected, if you have vet care that would be best - it may need to be lanced to remove pus or it's possible it may be something else.

I would not put DE in the eye.
What type of antibiotics did you give? Generally antibiotics are helpful for infections, but if there is pus, then it has to be physically removed - chicken pus does not dry up with medication.

Thank you for reply! I we donā€™t have a chicken vet in this area I have learned this in the passed. I will look at her eye throughly again. I live in Maine and itā€™s cold here. I have pushed on it nothing comes out , but it does feel liquid filled... her red skin is starting to turn white , because it is getting huge. I have had her in here for over a week and I thought at first it could be a eye worm... so I looked up treatment for it and the first two ideas fail and it said to sprinkle D.E in her eye. After I get my kids off to school I will look her eye over again thank you!!! ā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļø

NEVER sprinkle DE in the eye! Would you sprinkle sand in your eye? It would be the same effect for your chicken. As a matter of fact, get rid of the DE, it's useless and a waste of money.
Follow Wyorp Rock's advice and remove the pus from the eye. There are videos on Youtube that can show you how to do it.

Back
Top Bottom