50 chicks gone...

warmfuzzies

Songster
10 Years
Feb 15, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I just need a little sympathy. We got 50 chicks on Friday. They are all gone now. Something broke into the chicken house and ate them all in the middle of the morning (about 10 AM). We were right here in the house, and I had just been out there and checked on them. I was going to go back out in a little and clean out their waterers, so I latched the door but I didn't lock the little sliding lock at the top. It did latch though. Something pushed it open, ate them all without us seeing, and then left the door open which my son noticed.

I am soooo mad I have been crying all day. I cannot believe that something could get into there with the door latched, and eat all 50 chicks on top of that. We found three of them buried under the wood chips that whatever it was must have missed. I am pretty sure it was a dog.

You have my symphathy!! That is totally heartbreaking! I can understand the lost 3-4, but 50, devastating!
hugs.gif

Ohhh Geeeze... what a mess... I'm sooo sorry... Don't give up! If I gave up after every chick disaster like yours, I'd have quit a long time ago! You're not alone in your pain... It's such a heart drop to have something like that happen. Sooo sorry...
sad.png

sorry to hear about that, its alot of chicks to loose all at once, am really sorry for you...my dog can open some latches, doorknobs, not so much, but still...we just killed a feral cat that snuck into the hen house, if I hadn't been on the phone I never would have seen it...after the chicks
You will have to get some more right away

Wow, what a drag...so sorry for your loss.! I'd set up a gamecam to see whats coming around, and act on that, when you see who the culprit is. Don't give up, and keep things locked up.Seems everything wants to eat our chickens.Sorry again for your loss...

No it was an animal because the three that we found were dead and ripped open, they just missed them when they were gorging. I found out now that the door will unlatch and open if you push on it hard enough, but it had to have been a big dog to do it. I just keep watching out the door because if he comes back for leftovers he's dead.

Back
Top Bottom