55 gallon Water nipple system + Gravity fed Feeding tube...

timp123

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 4, 2010
Georgetown, Indiana
Well, this past weekend I finally built & installed my home brew gravity feeder, built using 4" PVC pipe. Mounted to the outside of the coop. I'm thinking it holds around 10+ pounds of feed, but the biggest plus, is that is filled from outside the coop. No longer having to deal with them rushing the door, cause they know I'm coming
smile.png

Feeder

2011-05-11125544.jpg

100_7230.jpg

I installed about a month ago, a 55 Gallon rain barrel that drains to a 4 ft 2" pvc pipe with 6 water nipples. That, was an awesome investment! No more poo and straw and clean fresh water for them, every time!

2011-05-11125531.jpg

2011-05-11125518.jpg

2011-05-11125554.jpg

Few more things here & there that I want to do... we've got 2 Roos & 16 Hens... all seem to be pretty happy!

Last edited:
Pictures added... will have to take more of the inside, so you can see the gravity feeder... love that thing! So simple but it's making life, SO Much easier!

It's also time to Paint the Coop... I've got a theme in mind
tongue.png
Will have to see how it goes. Hope to get started on it soon.

Last edited:
Quote:
It took them maybe 15 mins to figure it out.. with the red nipples on a white pvc pipe.. I figured it would take them long to peck at it.. once I installed it & turned the water on from the barrel.. I just tapped the nipples with my finger to get their attention, plus they saw the water drop.. now mine actually don't leak, drip at all.. so I guess I got the water pressure correct. (I've heard some complain about leaking)... once 1 pecked at it.. of course all the others wanted what she had.. no matter what it was.. so they all followed. I took the water bucket out.. and it's nice to know they are getting poo & straw free water!

When they peck at the stim on the nipple it releases water.. they drink from it all the time..

Back
Top Bottom