55 gallon waterer

WILIFORD

Songster
6 Years
Sep 12, 2017
Southern San Joaquin Valley California
I just completed a new waterer for my 14 hens. I had some goals in mind. First, I wanted a waterer that only needed to be filled every month or so. Secondly, I wanted it to be minimum maintenance. Thirdly, it had to be visually appealing. I know obsessive, but even my hen house is automated with lights, an auto door opener, it is built to resemble a miniature red barn.

I will describe it briefly as it is pretty simple once you start building it. I used a 55 gallon food grade drum, a 30 gallon drum would work just as well. You want a drum with the caps that have a 1/2" pipe threads in the center. You knock the center out and plumb your piping into this port. Build a platform to your desired height as this will be a gravity fed system. Mine is elevated 18". The platform should be about 8" wider than the diameter of you barrel. This platform must be constructed to hold 400 to 500 pounds. I used 4X4 legs and 2X4's for all cross members and decking. You want to leave the center 2X4 out to allow for piping from barrel. using a hole saw drill a 1 1/4 hole in the bottom of the barrel, which for our application will become the top of our water. From one of the caps, punch out the center and thread a 1/2" short pipe nipple in to cap, then thread a 1/2" PVC union onto the nipple. Then screw an adapter into the union to go to glued fittings. I wont describe the plumbing for the nipples or bowls as this will be based on your preference. Cut to radiuses of thick plywood 2 inches in diameter larger than the diameter of you drum, which was about 25" for mine. You will ne to cut a circle out of one for the plumbing you just installed on the cap. Make sure you align the plywood radius so it is roughly center with the drum when marking this hole, also this hole should be cut significantly oversized to ease assembly (it won't be seen after assembly anyway). Now cut a hole in the other radius that aligns roughly with the hole you drilled in the opposite end of the barrel, which ultimate be the top of your waterer. Placed the radius you cut for the cap and the plumbing on the deck of your platform aligning the hole with the gap left in the platform decking, insure the radius is centered on the deck on all sides and screw down. Now place your drum on the platform with the cap plumbing protruding through the hole in the radius you just installed. Place the second radius on top of the drum aligning the hole in the plywood with the hole you drilled in the drum. Using cheap 6' by 6" wooden fence slats cut to 4" longer than you barrel is tall wrap the barrel with these wooden slats. The slats can be screwed into the plywood radiuses at the top and the bottom. Screw a PVC fitting into the hole in the top with a short nipple and cap for filling your water. drill small hole around the perimeter of the cap to allow for needed venting for the gravity system to work. Now plumb your watering nipples or bowls in per your own design. The water will sty tepid in the barrel, but any piping exposed to direct sun can cause hot water so keep exposed piping to a minimum and shades as much as possible. Your finished product should resemble a miniature wooden water tower. By adding a 32 ounce bottle of organic apple cider vinegar to the drum when filling it will prevent algae growth and is beneficial to my hens. This system should supply water to my hens for well over a month. Combined with my tredle high capacity feeder, I have minimum chores. I apologize for the length of this thread. This sounds complicated but really only took 1 day to build. Once you star it comes together pretty quickly.

Here are a few pics during construction, as requested. I will be adding a conical shaped metal roof to the tower and 2 black metal straps around the wood barrel soon. These items will on be for esthetics only. Note do not paint the PVC black as I did initially, it heats the water up excessively. I have since changed this. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_9615.JPG
    IMG_9615.JPG
    672.5 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_9619.JPG
    IMG_9619.JPG
    521.5 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_9620.JPG
    IMG_9620.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_9720.PNG
    IMG_9720.PNG
    4.6 MB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Do you have any pictures of while you were building it? Or at least the finished product? Sounds like something I might make for next year. To close to winter and cold weather for me to build something without worrying about freezing right now.

Any problems with too much water pressure on the nipples using the 55 gallon drum? I'm just wondering because I have heard that too much pressure can seal them and make it so the chickens can't drink. Thanks.

Any problems with too much water pressure on the nipples using the 55 gallon drum? I'm just wondering because I have heard that too much pressure can seal them and make it so the chickens can't drink. Thanks.
No problem with the pressure. In fact I consider the pressure to actually be lower than I expected. My only issue is I was using the nipples on my old watered and switched to the cups. My hens aren't taking to the cups very well. So I will probably switch back to the nipples. One thing I didn't mention in the post is I installed a hose bib on on end of the PVC for draining the unit if needed, but now I have my dogs autowater bowl hooked to the hose bib. So the dogs get the benefit of the ACV as well.

Very impressive and unobtrusive. I like the touch of the planks around the outside of the drum. Are you in an area where you have to deal with freezing conditions? If so, what do you do to prevent the freezing. I have a similar rig and am racking my brain trying to come up with something - I only have a few short months before I need to have something in place.

That’s a lot of water !! We use 55 gallon drums for cattle and they’re moldy before they finish half . I’d be really Leary of something that big for 14 hens?

I’d check it daily for mould.

My 5 gallon buckets with nipples turned green and I couldn’t see it , had to change the water every 2-3 days . I’m not in a hot climate but when you seal a container of water and it’s summer it gets moldy and slimy .

Back
Top Bottom