Little Party Animals
wee.gif

Always have more under Momma's wing
clap.gif

I am sure these guys wont be the only ones feeling like this
goodpost.gif

gander007
old.gif

I've got 3 SS hatched, 2 pips that I can see and one pipped at the wrong end that I zipped. I like them to push out themselves. If he can't make it in a reasonable amount of time, I'll help a little further.

Heading over to check the brood hens now. I wish they were closer so I could keep a better eye on them.

I am behaving VERY well.
No one is due until midnight, (do not have free time during daylight hours to play with eggs
hmm.png
) 'perfect' incubation would hatch between midnight and noon tomorrow... I keep reminding myself of that. I actually expect them to be a bit later still because they were put in at 64 degrees shell temp.
Temp in the bottom section (now hatching basket) is holding at 98 air/100.4 shell temp.
Humidity is at 67-69%, drops to the low 50's for about twenty minutes after I open the door to refill water (have to create/install a system for adding water from outside) - aided by the fact that it's raining.
I have only touched ONE egg - saw it was dripped on, dried it and candled it quickly. (appears fine)
I have to go do something... cannot handle being in the same room with it!
barnie.gif

I am behaving VERY well.
No one is due until midnight, (do not have free time during daylight hours to play with eggs
hmm.png
) 'perfect' incubation would hatch between midnight and noon tomorrow... I keep reminding myself of that. I actually expect them to be a bit later still because they were put in at 64 degrees shell temp.
Temp in the bottom section (now hatching basket) is holding at 98 air/100.4 shell temp.
Humidity is at 67-69%, drops to the low 50's for about twenty minutes after I open the door to refill water (have to create/install a system for adding water from outside) - aided by the fact that it's raining.
I have only touched ONE egg - saw it was dripped on, dried it and candled it quickly. (appears fine)
I have to go do something... cannot handle being in the same room with it!
barnie.gif

I have learned to be more hands off with each hatch. I have "helped" too many that ultimately didn't survive and just suffered until the end because they were either too weak and never would have made it out of the shell. I do candle a few times, sometimes I do it just to allow the eggs to cool for a little while after reading about the benefits of incorporating a cooling phase to incubation similar to how it would happen in nature when the hen goes out to do her business and eat.

I do have trouble leaving the chicks in the bator after they have hatched. They seem to be too rambunctious and I am afraid they will jeopardize their brother's and sister's success by knocking into them repeatedly while they run around the incubator!

I have learned to be more hands off with each hatch. I have "helped" too many that ultimately didn't survive and just suffered until the end because they were either too weak and never would have made it out of the shell. I do candle a few times, sometimes I do it just to allow the eggs to cool for a little while after reading about the benefits of incorporating a cooling phase to incubation similar to how it would happen in nature when the hen goes out to do her business and eat.

I do have trouble leaving the chicks in the bator after they have hatched. They seem to be too rambunctious and I am afraid they will jeopardize their brother's and sister's success by knocking into them repeatedly while they run around the incubator!

My main problem is that I waste so much time staring at them... looking for pips, etc. I've learned not to interfere unless I see wrong-ended pips, or foamies - I know they need that cleaned off the nares (and nothing more, though it's hard to stop self) and can still be normal.
One thing I really wish to avoid is 'special needs' birds... not good for either me or them. I had two (chickens) last year that required multiple daily interactions for nearly four months before they - predictably - expired. Not gonna do that again!
(no, I'm not in that room
smile.png
)

My first chick hatched last night around 10 pm, approximately 1/2 day early. The next three hatched out around 8 am. So far I have 8 out of the eggs and several zipping and most have pipped. It appears my incubator temps are nearly perfect this time around, really glad I picked up a new one!

First one out was blue! I like to let them imprint on my dog when they hatch so they know she isn't a threat.

Funny. mine imprint on my little yorkie, who always has her nose right up to the cage.

Back
Top Bottom