5wk old Silkie chick abcess

Yeah, never follow the Vomit a chicken advice. It's not necessary.

Gasping can be caused by stress, respiratory problems, gapeworms, & choking.

What do you feed, including treats?

Coconut oil will slicken the crop, & intestines to let things move smoothly. Grit can be offered to help break up the blockage.

Crop massage in a downward angle in a circular motion to push food through the food tube, & to clear the blockage.
No treats at all as they're only 5 weeks old. They eat medicated chick crumble. That's it.

I was going to get some nutri drench and grit last night but drove all the way to the feed store for them to be closed for new years day. 🤦‍♀️

We have over a foot of snow and ice (not usual for my area) and I really don't want to drive my mini van (no studs or 4wd) out in it so my husband gets off work in 6hrs and will go grab some for me on the way home.

I have been massaging it downward and she really likes it. She lays in to my palm and falls asleep while I do it.

Do you provide grit for your chicks?

At 5 weeks, are they still sleeping with a lamp (have light all night) or?
IF they sleep in the dark all night, take out the food/water, then RECHECK her crop again first thing before you put feed/water back in. See if the crop is emptied.

Poop doesn't look that bad to me. She needs to be drinking, I would offer wet feed as choice in addition to their dry feed.

I rarely separate a chicken from their flock unless they are just in such a bad way that they need to be removed. Personally, I'd leave her in the brooder with her flock.

Coconut oil is fine to give anytime, so no worries there, it can help with constipation. My birds think it's a crazy good treat, so every once in a while I just give them little chunks as a treat. IF IF The crop is not empty in the morning, then I would begin treating = read this article, it's the methods that I use on my own birds regardless of age. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I was using a brooder heater that they can tuck underneath up until this week as my home is 68 degrees with central air so they don't ever get below that being indoors and they're all mostly feathered not downy anymore

They are in natural light for the day/night with the exception of their brooder is in my office room so if we are using the office we have the light on etc in the evening. But no artifical light sources are on for them 24/7 so they aren't being encouraged to over eat.

I didn't think I needed grit when using the chick feed but I will be adding it to their diets.

I will be removing their food at night but I thought I was supposed to have access to water 24/7? This is all a learning curve for me so I absolutely could be doing this all wrong. I don't want to do anything to harm them that's for certain. :(

Unfortunately this morning we found Raven deceased. She had cuddles and was acting fine last night. This morning she was gone. My 8yr old Oakley is very heartbroken. 😭💔

She truly loved her pet chicken. And Raven loved her person. Snuggles and climbed up on her shoulder all the time.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1641328481005.jpg
    FB_IMG_1641328481005.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 2
  • FB_IMG_1641328473660.jpg
    FB_IMG_1641328473660.jpg
    556.3 KB · Views: 2
  • FB_IMG_1641328461309.jpg
    FB_IMG_1641328461309.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 1
  • FB_IMG_1641328465452.jpg
    FB_IMG_1641328465452.jpg