6.5 week buff laced polish - sex me!

superchemicalgirl

HEN PECKED
11 Years
Jan 10, 2010
Vacationland, Maine
This was my "free rare chick" from my McMurray order - so for starters the odds are stacked that it's a boy.

I have no other crested and this is my first time with chickens... so I turn to you, BYCers to help me out. The chick acts like a space cadet and hates to be touched, but I think that's normal for Polish and not indicative of sex.

Here's my photos:

46869_img_0838.jpg

46869_img_0839.jpg

46869_img_0836.jpg

46869_img_0827.jpg

46869_img_0817.jpg

Thanks for playing!

Ya got a boy!!! Very handsome feller, too.
big_smile.png
Polish take a while to tame down- don't worry.

With that kind of crazy wild pointy hairdo, there's no doubt. Pullets tend to have fluffy tennis-ball crests at that age. He's got nice sickle (boy tail-feather) development, too.

Love your username
tongue.png
tongue.png
tongue.png

Last edited:
Darn! And thank you all for your help. I wanted a rooster, but I never planned on a polish one.

I know it's the wrong place to post this but: are polish roosters just as good at protecting their girls as regular roosters? I'm thinking the head puff prevents them from seeing predators? And will *all* chicks hatch with a puff?!

I've never had a Polish boy, but my females tend to have some vision problems early on in their lives but when they learn their home and surroundings, they start to remember where specific things are, like blind dogs. The more exposure they have to their living space, the better they become. As far as protecting the flock, honestly, very few roosters have the heart of a lion anyway. I've had some brave boys (non-crested) that chased away naughty squirrels and curious cats, but that's it. As far as flying-predator-warnings, if the Polish in question were to see something out of the corner of his eye, they'd warn everyone. But I can't promise that he'll actually be on the look-out. That depends on him.

We haven't lost a single crested to predators. Ours have learned to watch and listen to their flockmates, and always stay in groups. If he's the only daddy, then all of his offspring should hatch out with a tiny, but still present, crest. Not as big as his.

Both my polish are super cuddly. I thought that this was the norm??? I love that they will just fall asleep in my arms.

You guys are good! He crowed twice this morning, or attempted to at least, when I let them out this morning.

I was half asleep, really dragging this morning and his crowing attempts made me laugh so hard I actually feel awake.

I was going to say cockerel already but I see by your post he let the cat out of the bag. Males have a wild crest, very large that will drape over the sides of the face with pointed shaped feathers. The females have more of a tidy, round tipped feather, kind of a cotton ball (in shape, not texture) top that looks fairly symmetrical any way you look at it.

Back
Top Bottom