6 day old duckling concerned with eyes.

Tvigs103

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2020
I have a 6 day old female Grimaud hybrid Pekin who’s active, eating well, and drinking perfectly fine. Since arrived on Wednesday and was dehydrated and laying down in the box while her 3 sisters we walking around her. She perked up after some water with sav-a-chick.
I did notice from the 1st day she was here that her pupils seem cloudy. She appears to be able to see just fine, but now her eyes are a little gooey and swollen. Has anyone else ever had this happen? She has access to clean and fresh drinking water that’s big enough for her to dip her head in To clear out her nostrils.
The picture isn’t the best but you can see where the cloudiness is.

Attachments

• 39ACB0BC-388B-450B-9E03-423013708475.jpeg
    39ACB0BC-388B-450B-9E03-423013708475.jpeg
    356.4 KB · Views: 16
  • A1568424-719E-4DA6-8478-9240F48E2105.jpeg
    A1568424-719E-4DA6-8478-9240F48E2105.jpeg
    339.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Are both eyes affected, or just one?

It is a little hard to make out what's really going on with the eye, but, if you're seeing discharge, swelling, and some weird discoloration, it could be something like Conjunctivitis, or eye problems originating from environmental problems. Regardless, I would try to flush the eye well with some saline, and consider adding an ointment, like Neosporin, or Terramycin to the eye in case of bacterial overgrowth.

Allowing the duckling head deep water, may also be beneficial.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/pfizer-terramycin-opthalmic-ointment-1-8-oz

Are both eyes affected, or just one?

It is a little hard to make out what's really going on with the eye, but, if you're seeing discharge, swelling, and some weird discoloration, it could be something like Conjunctivitis, or eye problems originating from environmental problems. Regardless, I would try to flush the eye well with some saline, and consider adding an ointment, like Neosporin, or Terramycin to the eye in case of bacterial overgrowth.

Allowing the duckling head deep water, may also be beneficial.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/pfizer-terramycin-opthalmic-ointment-1-8-oz
[/QUOTE

the cloudiness is both eyes but currently she’s keeping just one of them which is the most funky shut.

Attachments

• 0F122F82-6358-4985-B083-2330DA099FBE.jpeg
    0F122F82-6358-4985-B083-2330DA099FBE.jpeg
    287 KB · Views: 8
I have a 6 day old female Grimaud hybrid Pekin who’s active, eating well, and drinking perfectly fine. Since arrived on Wednesday and was dehydrated and laying down in the box while her 3 sisters we walking around her. She perked up after some water with sav-a-chick.
I did notice from the 1st day she was here that her pupils seem cloudy. She appears to be able to see just fine, but now her eyes are a little gooey and swollen. Has anyone else ever had this happen? She has access to clean and fresh drinking water that’s big enough for her to dip her head in To clear out her nostrils.
The picture isn’t the best but you can see where the cloudiness is.
members.jpg

Back
Top Bottom