6+ Iowa Blue Eggs

mrheinz77

New Beginnings Poultry
8 Years
May 22, 2011
SE Wisconsin
Up for auction are 6+ Iowa Blue Eggs. I am part of a group trying to breed these magnificent birds back to what they once looked like. We are breeding towards a proposed standard. Hopefully in the next few years we have a qualifying show.
Iowa Blues are a dual purpose breed that are great for free ranging. The roosters take good care of their girls. My rooster has been very calm while the hens are a little more standoffish. They are getting better with the introduction of treats. I have one rooster in with 6 hens.

Fertility has been great. I guarantee fresh & fertile eggs. However, I cannot guarantee hatch-ability due to many variables out of my control after the eggs leave my hands, such as shipping & handling, incubation equipment, and incubation methods. I always pack extremely well and try to include extras. Payment is by Pay Pal only within 12 hours of the end of the auction. No e-checks please.
PayPal [email protected]

These eggs will ship Saturday November 12, 2011 or Monday November 14, 2011. You can let me know which date you prefer. If this date doesn't work for you, you may still bid and if you win, just let me know when you would like the eggs sent. Payment is still due within 12 hours of the end of the auction.

Good Luck and Happy Bidding

Some pictures of my flock
92928_ia_blue.jpg

92928_ia_blue_7.jpg

92928_ia_blue_8.jpg

Chicks can be Black or Chocolate/Chipmunk Colored

92928_ia20blue2067e25.jpg

Quoted from Wikipedia
"History

The Iowa Blue's exact origin is unknown, but is the subject of a folksy legend that is said to have involved the mating of a White Leghorn hen and a Pheasant.[1] This is especially unlikely considering that Leghorns are light-weight birds with white earlobes, yellow skin, and which lay white eggs.[2] They are one of the more striking New Heritage breeds, resembling Grey Junglefowl in carriage and voice with the bearing and production traits of the old heritage breed the Black Java. in Iowa Blues are have never been recognized officially by the American Poultry Association, American Bantam Association, or any other breed standard. In to the 1960s, several hatcheries around Iowa sold the breed, but after these hatcheries either closed or stopped selling them, the Iowa Blue nearly disappeared. Dedicated breed enthusiasts have preserved the breed in to the 21st century, though their numbers remain small. It is listed as "Study" by the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy, entailing that is of conservation interest but lacks the documentation to be firmly categorized.[3]"

Looking back at old auctions, I have only ever seen one other person sell Iowa Blue eggs on BYC and one on ebay. Sure a few hatcheries offer them, but are they breeding towards the proposed standard? If Iowa Blue were recognized by the APA they would be Endangered instead of a Study Group by the ALBC.

If you have any questions, please post them, PM me, or e-mail me.

Oh geez! Mine are doing so well from you! I may get more form you in the spring but right now I am not hatching more chicks......I am not hatching more chicks.....ooooohhhhh, I'm not!
But they have been wonderful so far! I am loving them!

Thanks Amy. I'm glad you're enjoying them. I'd be hatching these but with them being rather rare, I wanted to introduce others to them. Also, I am using the proceeds from my auctions to increase the flock size of my other breeds so I can offer diverse breeds to others.

Your hens have really nice lacing. I might need to get some stock from you someday
smile.png

My 2 hens barely have lacing, actually I don't think one even has it, and I lost the one with the best neck lacing
hmm.png
luckily out of eggs I hatched I got 1 pure ia blue and it's a hen with good lacing. I'm not really breeding them now so my rooster was in with other hens and I couldn't tell the eggs apart lol.

Thanks. I love my rooster and I can't wait until some of my pullets enter the flock. I really like their lacing and they show even more silver too.

Beautiful!! I thought I'd I'd ask my question here in case anyone else is wondering the same. Can you tell me about egg size, color and about how often they lay?

Iowa Blue lay large light brown eggs. They are supposed to lay 200-240 eggs a year. I have 6 hens and have been getting about 4 eggs a day from them. When I say large eggs, they are comparable to large or extra large store bought eggs. Iowa Blue will go broody but mine have not since I bought them in July. Right after I bought them they molted. I've bveen getting 2-5 eggs a day since late August when they finished their molt. Thanks for asking.

Back
Top Bottom