6 mo. old Golden Lace Polish hens

Sunflower01

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Westminster, Maryland
We just got two Golden Lace Polish hens from the Livestock Auction in our town. They are the most loving sweet bird I think we have ever had. My 6 Bovan Pulletts however ere very abusive tword them. Have them seperate from each outher and it looks as if it will have to stay that way. Building the Polish hens their own digs. Can anyone give me more information about the Golden Polish Hens. Thanks.

Just treat them just like any other chicken with one exception their top knots.

I have two and I give them haircuts about twice a year. It is important to especially in the winter in my opinion because they have a habit of getting their doos wet and then they freeze and become heavy and they appear to be in discomfort.

Polish have a reputation fo being the birds that are most bullied. Also, they are just weak birds. My adult has gotten sick more times than any other of my birds, for no apparent reason. Then she'd pick herself up again and carry on with her day, all by herself. They are birds with much character and if raised with people, may become very personable.

I agree with Scooter. If you find they are having a hard time finding their way, and staying out of the way of attacking hens, get a friend or someone to hold them down and you easily cut away some of the crest feathers, and sometimes the muffing, around their eyes. It does them wonders and if you think they're friendly now, they'll be even better when they can see you.
lol.png
Just remember that the feathers molt out each year and if you cut below the feather cuticle, the feather might begin to grow back.

I also agree about the winter haircut. Sometimes it does the birds even better to give them a more effective, shorter haircut just before it starts to get snowy. Otherwise, when they go to scratch the icy floor their crest will take in the snow, ice, and even water they are drinking and begin to get icicles on them. A few times my girl had icicles the size of acorns hanging off of her face. It didn't seem to hurt her but it hinders the vision.

Here's the link to the Australian Polish Breeder's club. I like this one better than ours.
lol.png
There's some good info there. Otherwise, you'll see many Polish owners on BYC that are willing to help. Just ask away!

http://polishchooks.com/

On cutting their crest. I bought a old sideburn or neck trimmer at a garage sale and I use that, it works like a charm and I don't have to worry about sticking the pointy end of a scissors into the eye of a chicken that won't hold still.
My so holds the bird and I cut.

Thank you for the info. I was verry suprised how friendly they are. They will perch on your shoulder and love for you to pet them. Just the sweetist things. When do the start to lay eggs and what color are they? Also, they both look to be same age and probably sisters, but one has a tail and the other has none at all???? I know they are not Roos cause they had a roo there and decided not to buy him because right now we just want girls. Any Ideas on the tail issue?

They lay white eggs. They should start around 6-7 months.
The tail thing, could be molt could have been picked on my other birds. Are they broken?

Oh I bet you got some pretty birds! I have a few polish & love them! Mine were more friendly. I had a polish roo and he was a wimp and let his hens beat him up, but he was nice even to me so I kept him. He was the only roo that didn't beat me up!
lol.png

One way to make trimmings easier (note that I didn't say EASY) is to wrap the bird in a towel so you're holding a swaddled chicken. %f you swaddle all the way up the neck, that long, long neck won't swing around so much.

Our sweet Silver Laced Paduan has a slightly uneven, very heavy fro, and it pushes her scalp down on her right side to the extent that her eyebrow gets folded into her eye, causing it to weep- potential for disaster, certainly.

We mitigate this by angling straight up and cutting the fro ends off directly above the eye, thus easing the weight, but leaving short, supportive feathers to hold up the longer ones. This is an important point when trimming- leaving supportive feathers when trimming around the eyes.

I have read that lice and mites can be more invasive for these birds, and am vigilant when checking my flock to pay special attention to Aretha's hair-do. She isn't particularly fond of my handling of her hat, but it's necessary for her health, so I persist!

Some Polish can start to lay as late as 9 months, which was when our girl began. She was the latest layer. But she faithfully gave about 3-4 eggs per week, even though Polish are known to be lousy layers. Eggs are usually white but some come out an off-white color.

Once again I agree with Scooter on the tail thing.

Great info about the trimmers and do they tip after the feather-cut. I'll bet they're good looking.

Back
Top Bottom