6 mo old pullet laid egg with very thin rubber like shell .

Fontaine

Songster
Jun 20, 2020
Naples Florida
Caroline has been laying consistently for a month. 3 days ago she was quiet in the yard late afternoon, standing in one place looking miserable. I brought her inside, she ate some layer feed with chicken. In the morning I found the abnormal egg. She was acting normal so I put her out to free range. All day she was fine , eating mash and drinking, also poop normal. I brought her in for the night so I would be sure to find an egg if she laid one. She didn’t lay and again seemed fine so out she went. All was normal until 4 pm today she started “ the sick stand again” I again brought her in. She hasn’t laid since that deformed eggshell. Her comb normal color, no parasites. She is on layer feed and has access to oyster shells. Does anybody have any thoughts? She is a sweet girl RIH. Thanks

It can be common for a pullet new to laying to lay a shell-less egg. But if she is acting poorly, I would worry that she is having problems. Soft or shell-less eggs are very hard to pass, and may cause egg binding. I would give her half of a calcium tablet or Tums once a day for 3 days to see if it helps. Try to get her drinking well. Offer moist feed and some scrambled egg bits. Hopefully this is just a temporary problem.

my ducks have to stay in the house until they lay their eggs. If I bring them to the pond prior to laying, they make eggs without shells in the water or next to the pond. I assume it is the stress of not having the nest that does it. Never happens in their beds. Luckily they are done laying around 9:30 or 10am.

It can be common for a pullet new to laying to lay a shell-less egg. But if she is acting poorly, I would worry that she is having problems. Soft or shell-less eggs are very hard to pass, and may cause egg binding. I would give her half of a calcium tablet or Tums once a day for 3 days to see if it helps. Try to get her drinking well. Offer moist feed and some scrambled egg bits. Hopefully this is just a temporary problem.

This morning she laid a normal size ,normal shape egg. The shell was hard but had a fine sandpaper like feel to it. Not smooth and shiny. I started giving tums and water and put her back with her flock.she again this morning acts normally,poops normal. I hope she is on the mend as she is special out of my flock of 13 ofdifferent breeds. Thanks for the help. I wouldn’t know where to turn without BYC💕

my ducks have to stay in the house until they lay their eggs. If I bring them to the pond prior to laying, they make eggs without shells in the water or next to the pond. I assume it is the stress of not having the nest that does it. Never happens in their beds. Luckily they are done laying around 9:30 or 10am.
Thanks!
Leave the chicken outside. Putting them inside stresses them more go and causes them not to lay eggs.
if the others figure out what she did to get special treats, they will do it too! :jumpy Our spoiled little charges are smarter than we are when it comes to scoring treats.
That’s for sure! I was hoping I wouldn’t spoil them with treats( Healthy) Like I did my little two dogs. I now think they’re worse than the dogs!

Back
Top Bottom