6 month hen with pasty butt and weird poops

becstalls

Crowing
13 Years
May 22, 2010
Indiana, PA
Six month cream legbar with a poopy butt. Gave her a 20 min warm bath to soak it off. After cleaning the feathers I could see what looked to be skin that had calloused to protect her, so possibly this has been going on longer than I could tell. She pooped on the towel while I was drying her. Very grassy sort of looking with liquid that the towel soaked up. Currently treating flock for mites a broody hen became infested with, but did not notice them on this hen’s body. I mostly see them in the nest boxes. Coccidiosis? Vent gleet? Never dealt with either before.
23138B75-667A-4D9F-A9B6-E3F023330FF8.jpeg
805501FF-F257-4B98-BC80-1DFB83B60E23.jpeg

Attachments

• 6A22555F-B610-4FDE-801D-E7BD5CB3DF97.jpeg
    6A22555F-B610-4FDE-801D-E7BD5CB3DF97.jpeg
    452.5 KB · Views: 8
  • D0D2A088-ACAC-44A3-BF70-E8046958BEC1.jpeg
    D0D2A088-ACAC-44A3-BF70-E8046958BEC1.jpeg
    441.5 KB · Views: 6
The mite issue is first and foremost the most important thing to tackle and sounds like you are.

Coccidiosis I highly doubt as her poop looks pretty good and you didn't mention any other symptoms other than pasty butt. Vent gleet would reek horribly and that doesn't look like it.

If the poop was caked on to the point of causing callouses, that could be all this is. I'd have thought plucking but if she or the others can't get at it, then that's not it.

I would give them all probiotics which the two best I know are sugarless Greek yogurt and fermented feed, although we keep Hydro Hen on hand here and I put that in their water every so often.

A little more protein would help with feather growth.

Good luck and hope she gets better!

The mite issue is first and foremost the most important thing to tackle and sounds like you are.

Coccidiosis I highly doubt as her poop looks pretty good and you didn't mention any other symptoms other than pasty butt. Vent gleet would reek horribly and that doesn't look like it.

If the poop was caked on to the point of causing callouses, that could be all this is. I'd have thought plucking but if she or the others can't get at it, then that's not it.

I would give them all probiotics which the two best I know are sugarless Greek yogurt and fermented feed, although we keep Hydro Hen on hand here and I put that in their water every so often.

A little more protein would help with feather growth.

Good luck and hope she gets better!
Yeah, I never noticed her acting different until after the bath. But after she was finally completely dry, she was back to normal. I have a bit of leftover plain Greek yogurt I’ll give in the morning, and get some more at the store. How much do you suggest for 11 chickens?

Yeah, I never noticed her acting different until after the bath. But after she was finally completely dry, she was back to normal. I have a bit of leftover plain Greek yogurt I’ll give in the morning, and get some more at the store. How much do you suggest for 11 chickens?
For 14 of ours, I rip a paper plate into four, take one of those large yogurt containers and lob about half that container on those 4 pieces. No real measuring, just probably a couple of tablespoons for each chicken.

Back
Top Bottom