6 month old hen, laying for a week, died suddenly. Was fine this morn

peacebird

Songster
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
Virginia
Any ideas? I'm worried about her three siblings and the other 5 hens, and Mario the roo now....

The only sign of any problem was yesterday someone sneezed a couple times.... Also one of the four young hens had watery poo yesterday tho I never thought that was an immediate death threat... I figured I'ld just put some cooked oatmeal and yogurt in the run to help the tummy settle out.

I'm sorry that you lost your bird.
Any other symptoms?

What colour were her comb and wattles?

Was there any poop stuck on her bum?

What colour was the poop?

How many eggs had she laid?

her comb and wattles were plump and red, she and her peepmates just started laying last week. I had 8 eggs (9 hens) two days in a row, then it settled in at 5 eggs a day. Since winter began my other hens had been laying about 2 - 3 a day so I wasn't alarmed that I was getting about 1 egg every other day from the girls.

There was no poo stuck to her bum, and no one had pecked her body. There were no injuries. She apparently collapsed just outside the coop door in the secure run.

My roo had retreated inside the coop to roost when I got home (unusual for him as it was early and lots of light still)

It is not uncommon for a point of lay hen to die when they start laying. I've had 3 do this to me, and they were all production breeds. One I saw go into the nest box, and about 30 min later went to go check for eggs and she was dead on the nest with no signs of anything. Still warm too. I find that my "non production" breeds are hardier in this aspect and have yet to lose any of those to instant death at point of lay. If there are no other symptoms, I wouldn't worry too much.

I'm so sorry about your hen. Are you having an autopsy (or whatever you call it for a chicken)? It may be the the only way to determine what went wrong. Again, I'm so sorry. I haven't lost a bird yet, and it's frightening to imagine a sudden unexplained loss like yours. I pray it doesn't affect any more of your flock. God bless you.

Last edited:
it will be a nervous couple weeks, but I do hope it was a "point of lay" death, and not a problem that will affect the other young hens... We had felt so fortunate that all four of our "bonus birds" had survived and thrived since the cochins went broody on our brown hens eggs, and then it turned out all 4 were girls. I was so relieved because Mario would not like other roos...

sigh.

you mentioned your roo went in early..
would be a good idea to keep a close watch for illness.

color and consistency of droppings change
change in appetite
change in posture (hunching up/huddling/head pulled in/depressed/keeping away from others)
respiratory signs..sneezing/shaking head/mucus/
swelling of eyes/head/wattles/
breath sounds (gurgling/wheezing/rattling)

what all do you feed?
have they been wormed?
has the coop been cleaned recently?
has the bedding been wet? any signs or odors of mustiness or mold?

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom