6 week old banty still alive after losing a leg to a predator

vblanken

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 4, 2010
This morning we discovered something (with small paws) had reached inside a dog kennel door (temp. housing for 18 chicks) and ripped the leg off our little banty hen. The poor thing is still alive, mostly laying around but tries to keep up with the flock. Won't let me near to offer water and the other chicks seem sympathetic. My husband says we should ring it's neck and put out of misery. What is the humane thing to do--let nature take it's course or put the poor thing down? We are in the process of finishing the new coop and going today to buy a trap to catch the culprit. Have already lost a plymouth rock and aracauna this week. We thought for sure that the kennel would suffice as a safe haven during the night--wrong.
sad.png

After successfully maintaining a backyard flock in the city limits for years...we felt sure our new move to the country would allow for an even better and larger flock. I am beginning to second guess this decision--I feel like a bad parent and terribly sad when they are attacked!
I'm a newbee, btw.
Thanks!

oh that is so sad! Honestly unless you are prepared for the likelyhood in the future of providing seperate housing for this little girl as she grows up I would have to say put her down.

Even if she recovers from her injuries she will probably be picked on by the other birds and will be unable to keep up with the flock.

If you do want to help her recover I would seperate her from the rest provide super clean bedding (maybe paper towel changed daily) that doesn't stick in pieces to the open area, and use some antibiotic ointment and some vit/electrolytes in her water as well as a high protein food (protein is needed to heal) until she is all healed up. But like I said its likely she will need seperate housing maybe with a quiet friend for the rest of her life

Thank you. Have tried to catch her so we can medicate the wound but she flies away--will not let us near. Unless we trap her she will be on her own. Offering water and food but she scoots and flies off. I have never heard of any animal surviving a wound so devestating (without treatment) but she seems alert and adamant about her "privacy." For now...food, water, and a watchful eye is the best we can do.

I am happy to bring this update (months later!) that my one leg bird is really a bantam ROO! He is still with us...hopping on one leg, still keeping up with his girls. The leg must have been ripped from leg socket...completely...not even a stump. His quality isn't as great as it could be...can't "scratch" but he can peck. I am very happy that I didn't end his life in fear that he would die a slow death...We call him "LUCKY" (but with a wink.)

Back
Top Bottom