6 Week Old Chick Dead...No Symptoms

FloridaChick88

Chirping
Jul 7, 2016
So i woke up to a bit of a mystery this morning. One of my 6 week old chicks was laying dead by the water dish. Everyone else seems fine and none (i have 12) are showing any signs of illness or distress. Even the chick that died was acting perfectly normal yesterday.

I dont see any poop that looks odd in the coop, all chicks have been vacinated against mareks, no sneezing or coughing and all eating and drinking normally (they eat medicated feed). Im at a complete loss here.

She was laying right by the water which leads me to ask, could she have aspirated on some water and choked? She's far too big to have drowned.What do you all think?

So i woke up to a bit of a mystery this morning. One of my 6 week old chicks was laying dead by the water dish. Everyone else seems fine and none (i have 12) are showing any signs of illness or distress. Even the chick that died was acting perfectly normal yesterday.

I dont see any poop that looks odd in the coop, all chicks have been vacinated against mareks, no sneezing or coughing and all eating and drinking normally (they eat medicated feed). Im at a complete loss here.

She was laying right by the water which leads me to ask, could she have aspirated on some water and choked? She's far too big to have drowned.What do you all think?

I'm sorry for your loss.

It's so hard to determine the cause of death without necropsy. Yes, there is a possibility that she could have choked on water or feed. At 6wks, developmental disorders could be in play like heart/organ failure, stroke, etc.

Hopefully this will be your only loss, I know it's hard not knowing. If you do start to lose more, then evaluation of environment, freshness of feed, ventilation, etc. would be in order.

Back
Top Bottom