6 week old chicks, ideas on sex??!!

briannajustine

Chirping
Sep 17, 2021
Hi all,

I did post a few weeks ago but would love to know any opinions/ideas on sex now that my chicks are older as the suspense is killing me! They’re almost 6 weeks now. I know they’re probably too young to tell still but I’ve seen people make pretty accurate guesses around this age so thought I’d see! we unfortunately lost a chick last week who I was thinking was a pullet and I’m getting worried we may have all roosters now 😪

Chick one: olive egger. This one I’m thinking is a rooster more and more every day. Comb grew a few weeks ago and is very inquisitive, much more then the others and is the only one that will come up to me when I open the cafe. Always seems to be fighting with the boss chick and looks different to the others when running around.
38714824-D0E3-4667-A919-B343D4D3E927.jpeg
54A53AB1-A871-48DE-840F-231C0B916F28.jpeg

Chick 2: Araucana. Biggest and bossiest of the chicks and has been for a while, definitely top of the pecking order however often gets challenged by the black one. In the last two days started developing a bit of a comb but it looks thinner then the black ones but is still a pea comb. Not friendly like the black one either
82AC82D4-DE8E-4398-8759-98454FA9B66F.jpeg
5762DFD2-1156-47B0-AF53-A1F249F6D47E.jpeg
chick 3: Araucana. Has had loooong legs since hatch and looks different to the other Araucana in body shape. Had a bit of a comb around 3 weeks however it hasn’t changed at all since then and hasn’t gotten pink. Very timid and often gets picked on by the other two and is constantly trying to huddle under them. Was the biggest for a long time but now is quite a bit smaller then the other two
81A49C5D-ED18-4D92-BB88-9DB97B2547C1.jpeg
DB292210-25BA-4752-8B0D-AB1E38C7B3B7.jpeg

Hmm, I’m no expert so keep that in mind. But I’d say 1 is a cockerel, 2 is iffy but I’d lean cockerel and 3 looks like a pullet at the moment! :)
Literally up until 2 days ago I was hopeful number 2 was just a bossy pullet but woke up this morning and noticed the comb which came out of nowhere. Really hoping number 3 is a pullet then!!

I think the first two are roosters and the other one is a hen, but I'm not very good at sexing. All our roosters end up with girl names.
really hoping number 3 is a hen! I was sure up until like a week ago she was a rooster cause she looked so different to the others and was the first to look like she had a comb, but since the others have continued growing and started behaving differently I’ve been hoping maybe a hen

Literally up until 2 days ago I was hopeful number 2 was just a bossy pullet but woke up this morning and noticed the comb which came out of nowhere. Really hoping number 3 is a pullet then!!
Yeah I hate how they do that! I’ve been keeping an eye on one of mine that is 12 weeks because she all the sudden got more wattle than before and the other pullets haven’t changed! But it’s pink and not reddish, so 🤞🏻🤞🏻 I hope #3 is a pullet for you! It’s such a bummer when they all end up boys! My first ever 4 standard sized chicks (not bantams) was 3 boys 1 girl, and all three were the colors I wanted :-( A beautiful blue laced red wyandotte and both my Lavender Orpingtons! :-( The hen is a gold laced Wyandotte, and she’s a beautiful one, just not what I had bought or wanted haha. I kept the favorite Lav Orp but had to rehome the other two :-( I really hate how easy it is to get attached to them! Good luck! 🤞🏻

Yeah I hate how they do that! I’ve been keeping an eye on one of mine that is 12 weeks because she all the sudden got more wattle than before and the other pullets haven’t changed! But it’s pink and not reddish, so 🤞🏻🤞🏻 I hope #3 is a pullet for you! It’s such a bummer when they all end up boys! My first ever 4 standard sized chicks (not bantams) was 3 boys 1 girl, and all three were the colors I wanted :-( A beautiful blue laced red wyandotte and both my Lavender Orpingtons! :-( The hen is a gold laced Wyandotte, and she’s a beautiful one, just not what I had bought or wanted haha. I kept the favorite Lav Orp but had to rehome the other two :-( I really hate how easy it is to get attached to them! Good luck! 🤞🏻
Yeah I’m so attached :( it sucks cause my absolute favourite one passed away suddenly last week and I was pretty sure she would be a pullet! Hopefully we can keep one roo depending on its behaviour (probably would be the black one as it’s the prettiest and has always been our other favourite) but that will only be if we get at least one pullet!! I’ll be devastated if I have to rehome all 3 :( we have an olive egger hen already so would love to be able to keep an Araucana pullet 🤞🤞🤞

Hi, an update on my chicks! Now almost 14 weeks old, the olive egger was obviously a roo and our white Araucana is too (started trying to crow at like 10 weeks old 🙄). Am thinking/hoping our other Araucana is a pullet as she is still looking like one, but was hoping to get some opinions as I know araucanas are notoriously hard to sex. She hasn’t changed too much other then getting bigger, and feathers are still round. She occasionally fights the boys but overall is still more timid. There are some pics of her next to my little Araucana roo for reference, he very much looks and acts like a roo with all his big boy feathers growing in and she looks dramatically different. Really hoping she’s female 🤞
DFB1717C-8B9C-49C1-92DE-3BCBD17430A6.jpeg
714D8A8D-869F-4138-8154-0DFBD34C7DF0.jpeg
F3CF1CB2-2792-4217-9EFB-84E0A0CAFB62.jpeg
31FE4000-2D24-4883-A84F-D92C4E933D70.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom