6 week old chicks...medicated or non-medicated feed

kuntrychick

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
Alabama
I have some 6-wk old chicks that have never been on medicated Starter/Grower. The lady at TSC tried to sell me this powder to put in their water called Duramycin-10.

Well, I haven't given them any of it. I do need to buy a new bag of starter/grower and was wondering if they need medicated or just get non-medicated like I've been giving them.

I mean, are they too old to be medicated now? Will they be ok if they're not medicated?

Quote:
I thought Duramycin 10 was for respiratory infections?
roll.png
You don't need this they will be fine on what you have been giving them. Medicated chick starter/grower has a medication just to help with Cocci.

Quote:
I thought Duramycin 10 was for respiratory infections?
roll.png
You don't need this they will be fine on what you have been giving them. Medicated chick starter/grower has a medication just to help with Cocci.

I agree with Tuff. Duramycin is an antibiotic. Medicated feed is medicated with a coccidistat, an additive to inhibit the growth of coccidiosis (sp?) and aid the chick in developing an immunity to it. It is not an antibiotic.
They don't need the duramycin if they aren't sick.

Last edited:
OK, thanks y'all. So, being that they're 6 weeks old on the next bag of food I buy should it be medicated or non-medicated like they've been eating? I mean, is it too late for them to have medicated food now...will it even benefit them at all to prevent or build up immunity to Cocci being as old as they are now?

Medicated starter had Amprolium for helping them build immunity to cocci. Duramycin is an antibiotic and NO healthy chick needs that. They are trying to make money off selling you something you should not need. This is one reason I will not buy from TSC, period. They lie to all their customers about several things and I find their integrity lacking.

Chicks can have medicated starter till laying age. Some never use medicated in the first place. If you live in a wet area, I'd get medicated, though, I still have to treat for cocci, whether I use medicated or not. Medicated feed is no guarantee that they won't be overwhelmed by the oocycsts in your soil that cause cocci.

Thanks for weighing in Cynthia.
Actually this is good info. for me too, since I'll have accidental chicks in a few weeks. If they aren't on medicated feed now, which I'm pretty sure they will be, I will definitely be sure and give them the medicated. Our area is plenty wet too, especially in the wintertime.

Medicated may help them stay well till they develop immunity to cocci; according to Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens, they need medicated till about 12 weeks, then should have unmedicated, however, in some locales, you cannot find non-medicated feed at all. Some places you can't locate medicated, so you just use what you can and watch for symptoms of coccidiosis. Then you would treat with Corid (concentrated Amprolium) for 5- 7 days. That's what I have to do with each batch of chicks between 4 and 10 weeks old anyway--my soil has all kinds of lovely stuff in it, apparently. I generally just keep them on medicated starter till they are close to laying age.

Back
Top Bottom