Maddog_photog

Songster
May 22, 2020
San Diego, CA
A haiku:

Six weeks and still peep
Does that make a duck a drake?
I don’t need more boys

for those less inclined towards poetry (or Poultry.. heh heh puns)
I visited the vet today with my two 6-week old Swedish Blues and the veterinarian mentioned that they must be boys. I’m not sure what would lead him to think that. They aren’t raspy nor do they quack. They peep! Voices haven’t changed, but now I feel concerned imma end up, combined with my sexed other two, 3 boys and 1 gal. Is there any validity to this..? Is it too early to voice sex?

girls would most likely already have started quacking. for your ratio, you can either make two coops and keep the 3 drakes in one and the girl in the other. this would involve getting another girl as a companion for your girl though.

or... you can rehome just your girl. a drake (also known as a bachelor flock) works great! as long as you have no girls they’ll be besties!

Also my duck and drake grew up together and enjoy each other’s company. And I love my Waddles. And I’m struggling to get an outdoor duck run built anyhoo. Ugh.
keep the younger two boys together in one coop/run. then in another coop, you can keep your pair and add a couple extra girls (i recommend adopting not purchasing)

Where do I adopt from?
In my area there are several shelters that have barnyard pets for adoption. If I go on Petfinder I can ALWAYS find ducks that need homes under birds. Personally, I have adopted 4 ducks. 3 I found on Craigslist that had been abandoned on a pond. One found me through word of mouth. She needed a safe home, they knew I had ducks.

I agree that adoption is the best option. The businesses selling ducks are not ethical and I choose not to support them. That is my personal opinion. I also don't support dog or cat breeders.

In my area there are several shelters that have barnyard pets for adoption. If I go on Petfinder I can ALWAYS find ducks that need homes under birds. Personally, I have adopted 4 ducks. 3 I found on Craigslist that had been abandoned on a pond. One found me through word of mouth. She needed a safe home, they knew I had ducks.

I agree that adoption is the best option. The businesses selling ducks are not ethical and I choose not to support them. That is my personal opinion. I also don't support dog or cat breeders.
I’ll jump on PetFinder when I get home! Thanks for the tips!

girls would most likely already have started quacking. for your ratio, you can either make two coops and keep the 3 drakes in one and the girl in the other. this would involve getting another girl as a companion for your girl though.

or... you can rehome just your girl. a drake (also known as a bachelor flock) works great! as long as you have no girls they’ll be besties!
I was really lookin forward to eggs

Also my duck and drake grew up together and enjoy each other’s company. And I love my Waddles. And I’m struggling to get an outdoor duck run built anyhoo. Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom