6mo old roo has "barking" sneeze

begbfg

Barnyard Beckie
8 Years
Feb 11, 2011
Roxboro, NC
This morning when I went out to feed and water my flock, one of my 6 month old black sex link roos started sneezing. It sounded like a high pitched bark and startled me when I first heard it. I tried to catch him to get a closer look at him but no go. He also keeps his beak open when breathing. None of my birds showed any odd symptoms yesterday evening. It sounds almost like he has a cold. He's still active although his eyes do look a little dull. The rest of my flock are not exhibiting any syptoms. The weather here has gone from hot and dry to cold and wet almost overnight so I'm assuming this has something to do with it. Any insight would be a great help. I do have a place to isolate him if necessary.
Thank you, in advance, for your help!

idunno.gif

Hello!

I would separate him from the flock, and give him Tylan in his drinking water, or Denegard would work too. Whichever you can find.

I will tell you that some people will cull a sick bird, in order to spare the flock of illness.

Good luck with him,
Sharon

Hi, Sharon! Thank you for the advice! I just came back in from the pen and the roo has stopped sneezing. However, as a precaution, I'm going to keep a close eye on him and the others. I'm almost done prepping his isolation spot.

Thanks, again!
smile.png

Quote:
That's great news! I didn't even think that sometimes, they can sort of get something in their nose or throat that causes irritation, just like we do, thus the coughing to get it out!

Glad to hear that!

Sharon

Back
Top Bottom