7/8 Emerald Spaulding pics.

39952_dsc02204_1.jpg

Thanks, we have 4 neighbors within 1 1/2 miles and he only goes to the one that does not like peafowl. Actually the husband enjoys him but the wife gets enraged. I'm going to pen him for awhile but if he won't stop, I'm afraid I will have to find a new home for him. Funny thing too is none o fmy other 7 leave the farm, just him. I think the husband gives him treats while he's there.

He is just beautiful! I love that last pic of him you just posted. I can't wait for mine to get grown & look like "real" peas! We have a long time to go. In the meantime I really am enjoying their personalities.

Oh no, I hope you don't have to get rid of him!
sad.png
He is soo pretty!

When he free-ranges, is he at the neighbors all the time, or does he go over there every now and then or for an hour and then come home? Why would the woman get mad about it? Is she worried he will eat her plants or something?

I am lucky to have a neighbor that would rather have my peafowl stay in his yard then mine.
tongue.png

He usually stays for a few days and then comes home to be with the girls. I don't know why she doesn't like him, I don't think she likes animals in general. They have no pets. Her husband told me he grew up with peafowl on his uncle's farm and thought they were beautiful. I just hate to leave him penned up all of the time; he just seems much happier and calmer when he free ranges.
Wild thing and I have always had sort of a special relationship; I got him when he was about 3mos. old and when I let him out of the shipping box he just started running around his pen and doing a goofy dance sort of jumping around. He jumped up on his perch and just looked me in the eye and didn't seen to be afraid at all. Within a day he was taking grasshoppers from my fingers.

Quote:
Too bad about his wife!

I was wondering what the other 7 are? Spaldings or Indias? I used to let a group of youngsters loose every year, including spaldings and Javas. It seemed to be a pattern that spaldings would range a little further than Indias, with the Javas being champs at walking far- were out of my one acre yard more than half of the day usually.. had to stop letting Javas out. Curious if that pattern(spaldings being likely to range farther than Indias) holds for other situations too..

That is probably it. The 7 are 2 purple IB hens and their 5 low% Spalding chicks (ages 4 to 18mos.) from Wild Thing and another Spalding male I no longer have. They seem perfectly content to stay within about 1/4 mile of the house.

That would just make me so worried if I had a peafowl that would leave for several days and then come back. I always thought it would be cool to have javas and free-range any chicks they have, but maybe that wouldn't work unless you had a giant aviary with plants and stuff so it would seem like they were free range. If only...
tongue.png

yeah,
in most cases, any pure green,( java, Burmese, or imperator) will be in another state by morning if you let them out! Wouldnt dare try it with any of mine for that reason, as well as predators, they are just way too expensive to even consider risking it...
Spaldings can be though, but the higher the percentage, the higher the risk you wont see them again either.

Quote:
Could be. Good to know your 18mo spaldings stay around a little better. I have noticed the low % are a little better at staying close, but they 'follow' other spaldings and Javas very easily. Higher % spaldings generally have a strong temptation to hop the fence, but nowhere as bad as the pure Javas...

I've even seen pure Indias start to follow the spaldings/Javas.. but they usually eventually get the case of nerves and start heading back home while the Javas and spaldings keep on walking.

Back
Top Bottom