7 month old hen making gurgling noises ONLY at night. Breathes fine during the day.

ChickenCasey

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2023
I have a hen that makes a gurgling sound that similar to a bit of liquid in her airway but it only happens at night and during the day she breathes perfectly fine. I live in SC and it is hot and she opens her mouth for air during the day and I don’t hear any form of wheezing. The are free range. I provide as much cool space as possible and they usually hang out underneath the carport where they lie out on the concrete and drink the constant dripping water. I have around 30 in the flock. She is the only one making this noise and is it is audible from outside the coop at night. She is currently separated inside the house and this is only the second night I’ve heard it. I purchased some VetRX today and I’m gonna give it to her in her water tomorrow morning. Not sure if it’ll help though because I think she needs medication just have no clue for what disease because her symptoms are weird. It is only occasional at night and it happens while her mouth is closed as well just faintly. Any help on what this might be and how to treat it will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Thank for the responses!! So this is not something I should be worried about? I think I might continue to quarantine and monitor her for a few days. Also would Vetrx help if you have any experience with the product?

Thank for the responses!! So this is not something I should be worried about? I think I might continue to quarantine and monitor her for a few days.
No, I don't think it's anything to worry about.
Good idea to quarantine and monitor a bit longer.
Also would Vetrx help if you have any experience with the product?
That probably won't help. Vetrx doesn't really help anything.

Back
Top Bottom