7 month old hen making gurgling noises ONLY at night. Breathes fine during the day.

Not true; it makes people feel like they're doing something, and it gives them a response when they're asked "have you done anything for it yet?"
Yes, sorry about that.

I was just trying to say it's more for, temporary relief, but it really doesn't cure anything.

I would feel of her crop early in the morning, to see if it has emptied overnight, and check it in the late evening, and tell us if it is full and firm or puffy. Just push on it gently. Sounds like crop contents coming back up into her throat. What all do you feed them? Is she overeating? Do you have granite poultry grit available?

I would feel of her crop early in the morning, to see if it has emptied overnight, and check it in the late evening, and tell us if it is full and firm or puffy. Just push on it gently. Sounds like crop contents coming back up into her throat. What all do you feed them? Is she overeating? Do you have granite poultry grit available?
Agreed, sounds like it may be a crop problem.

Re-check to make sure the crop is emptying overnight. If it's not, then address that symptom. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Sorry its been so long since I looked at the thread. But I will say she has not made the noise again since the night I made the post. I don’t provide grit although I have some in the form of crushed oyster shells that I’ll give to the flock today. How do y’all provide it to them?
I haven’t directly checked her crop the next morning but when I feel it mid-day or towards the end of day it’s hard sometimes with some liquid mixed in. And she’s a smaller chicken but I could imagine her overeating.
They have access as much yard and leaves as they want, so they get a lot of bugs. Her Diet is bugs, cracked corn thrown in the yard a couple times daily, and 16% layer mix Purina dumor crumble from TSC provided in the coop exclusively.

Sorry its been so long since I looked at the thread. But I will say she has not made the noise again since the night I made the post. I don’t provide grit although I have some in the form of crushed oyster shells that I’ll give to the flock today. How do y’all provide it to them?
I haven’t directly checked her crop the next morning but when I feel it mid-day or towards the end of day it’s hard sometimes with some liquid mixed in. And she’s a smaller chicken but I could imagine her overeating.
They have access as much yard and leaves as they want, so they get a lot of bugs. Her Diet is bugs, cracked corn thrown in the yard a couple times daily, and 16% layer mix Purina dumor crumble from TSC provided in the coop exclusively.
I'm glad she's not making the noise.
Perhaps that particular time she went to roost with a too full crop.

Checking the crop during the day when a hen has been eating/drinking, it should feel like it has food/water in it.
The best way to gauge crop function is to check first thing in the morning before she has had anything to eat/drink, the crop should be empty/flat then.

Oyster shell is for calcium and is not hard enough to act as grit.
Grit is usually crushed granite, you can find it in stores like TSC. I just put some in a small container inside, they will pick out pieces as they need it.
While some suitable rocks/pebbles/grit may be found naturally while ranging/roaming and while the birds dig around, I've found that it's best to just provide purchased grit, this way I know they have access to what is needed for the gizzard to process foods properly.

So I felt her crop In The morning and it was completely empty could not feel anything in there at all. And I actually had another girl do something similar. However my coop is pretty hot and I think the heat is making them pant. Any suggestions for cooling it other then vents/screened windows short of slapping a fan out there lol? I do have some Inline fans laying around.

Last edited:
I'm glad she's not making the noise.
Perhaps that particular time she went to roost with a too full crop.

Checking the crop during the day when a hen has been eating/drinking, it should feel like it has food/water in it.
The best way to gauge crop function is to check first thing in the morning before she has had anything to eat/drink, the crop should be empty/flat then.

Oyster shell is for calcium and is not hard enough to act as grit.
Grit is usually crushed granite, you can find it in stores like TSC. I just put some in a small container inside, they will pick out pieces as they need it.
While some suitable rocks/pebbles/grit may be found naturally while ranging/roaming and while the birds dig around, I've found that it's best to just provide purchased grit, this way I know they have access to what is needed for the gizzard to process foods properly.
Okay!! Thanks for the info!! I will def go and get some grit for them later on today because there are 0 rocks in my yard only chance they would’ve had to get them is from the dirt road. And then I guess the oyster shell is pretty pointless because there’s already calcium in the laying mix.

Okay!! Thanks for the info!! I will def go and get some grit for them later on today because there are 0 rocks in my yard only chance they would’ve had to get them is from the dirt road. And then I guess the oyster shell is pretty pointless because there’s already calcium in the laying mix.
It’s good to provide the extra calcium for those who need it. Sometimes they need more than what’s in the mix.

It’s good to provide the extra calcium for those who need it. Sometimes they need more than what’s in the mix.
Okay thank you I appreciate the heads up. What sort of container do y’all use for the grit and calcium? I don’t wanna use like a chick feeder because they are good at knocking em over

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom