7 month old silkie with silkie chicks

holly15

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 19, 2014
I have one 7 month old silkie chicken I hatched. A hawk has stolen all my others. We had 5. But the last one is definitely a hen. She's been alone for about a month. I just bought 5 silkie chicks from the farm store yesterday. We decided to introduce her to the chicks and watch what happens. She fluffed her wings out and the chicks ran under and she has seemed content ever since. However, we found one chick dead this morning and another has just died. The second chick that just died was gasping for breath and limp before it died. Do you think having her in there has made them die? They seem to not come out from under her for food or water. After the second chick died I took her out and the chicks started eating and drinking. Then I put her back bc she wouldn't leave the side of their brooder and was making lots of noises. When I put her back they all ran under her and she is making a purring sound. She has never laid an egg but is 7 months old. Do you think she doesn't know how to teach them to eat and drink? She's not pecking them. I've been watching. She just keeps them under her. And she keeps fluffying out her feathers so big with her beak. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Glad you took her out. You should teach them to eat drink if you haven't already. Since she didn't hatch them herself she wouldn't see them as hers, and take care of them.

Back
Top Bottom