7 weeks chick with injury?

HomeFarmlove

Chirping
May 12, 2020
Hello, I am hoping to get some info on what might be going on with Lois.
She is about 7 weeks old, she is an Easter Egger.
I noticed on one of my visits today to the coop that she had some pink on her left face. I cleaned it with Hydrogen peroxide and am not sure if someone pulled out some of her feathers around her mouth, or if she (he) has some illness that is causing the loss of hair and redness around the corners of her mouth.
2 pictures below...

She is on high quality chick starter (non GMO) and eats fresh plants from the garden and area that I pick for them. Kale, spinach, dandelion, lettuce, chickweed, clover, tat soi, little parsley, little bits of oregano and thyme.

Thank you for your advice...
28B070C5-8EB8-4903-AE6F-EC460383838C.jpeg
CCFAC7EC-499F-4793-95F9-B0DB4594BA57.jpeg

I have removed her from the coop. She is unhappy in the rubbermade container, it‘s large but not roomy. We had to improvise. I hope someone has an idea of what might be going on. I really appreciate your help.

Looks like dried blood, likely got picked at by another chick above the eye. Is she housed with chicks her age?

Redness of the face is just her coloring - she's starting to get older - what it looks like to me.
How much space do they have?

Watch behavior/interaction with one another, but personally with laying breeds, I clean off the dried blood and put them back with their flock mates.

Separation is stressful for birds and if they are low in the pecking order it may be even more difficult to introduce them after a period of separation.

Thank you! She is the same age as the other birds. They have plenty of room in the coop and a 18x8 run.
They have been working out the pecking order for a while now, but don’t seem to go too far in doing so. Lois might be a male? Pink comb? We are not sure how many males we have yet.

I really don't see anything too concerning. It does look like dried blood but I see no injury.

I would not separate out a chicken entirely for medical treatment unless absolutely necessary. An isolation cage in the coop or run is a better choice. If there are pecking order issues, separating her and then putting her back in could make it worse.

What does your run look like? Big empty space or are there obstacles in the way and things to do? Adding some clutter can help give lower ranked birds some relief if more dominant ones are picking at them.

Thank you for your help as well. The run is 18x8 and 6ft tall. The coop is roomy. We have 13 7 week old chicks. And some are still on the smaller size. We have 4 different breeds.
I am now thinking about how to lessen the boredom. Can you give me an example of adding clutter? Thanks again.

I am now thinking about how to lessen the boredom. Can you give me an example of adding clutter? Thanks again.

Great thread on clutter: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

I also add other stuff to give the chickens something to do, to help with boredom, like piles of dried leaves or grass for them to dig through, a dust bath, and run roosts. Rearranging the clutter every so often helps as well, keeps it interesting to them.

Thank you! She is the same age as the other birds. They have plenty of room in the coop and a 18x8 run.
They have been working out the pecking order for a while now, but don’t seem to go too far in doing so. Lois might be a male? Pink comb? We are not sure how many males we have yet.
If you'd like, post a photo of the whole bird so we can see feathers, tail, etc. Hard to tell if Lois is male. It's not uncommon for pullets to be pinkish either.
I'm not very good at telling sex, but someone might be able to tell you.

Back
Top Bottom