8 day old peeps with funny growth on feet! HELP

happyfeet

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 24, 2007
We hatched peeps last week and are in our basement. I have always kept my babies on newspaper for the first week or so and then they go to shavings. Cleaning their poopy mess this morning, i noticed that 2 out of 18 peeps have a warty looking growth on the bottom of their feet, one has one warty foot and the other has two warty feet. They are right on the palm of their foot where bumble foot would be, but their is no "plug" it is a warty looking protrusion. One of the peeps warty protrusion is partly torn off. What do i do for them? I have never had this happen before. I clean their cage 2xs a day, but peeps eat and HOLY POOP! Should i soak feet in water to wash well and seperate the two?

first, you should never put chicks on newspaper, it is slippery and causes foot and leg problems.
second, a picture is worth 1000 words and for diagnosing it is worth 2000, so if you can get a picture that would be great.

All the best

i have always had peeps on newspaper for the first few days. it has been recommended by many chicken owners. they have always said never start them on shavings because they will eat it and get sick. it did end up being poo build up. i changed the paper once/twice a day.??? why it happeneded, not sure. did soak their feet and poo came off. put some neosporin on sore spots. i have never had this probvlem before. maybe these little guys pooped more than the others??? i do more running around and tending to my chickens than i do the goats, dogs, cats, and children...well maybe not children!lol thank you
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom