8-week Easter Egger "pullet" - is it actually? *Updated 10-week pics pg 3 - Boy or girl?*

speckledhen - when do EE cockerels get wattles? Mine doesn't have any at all and it's yellow where they will be.
EEs don't get wattles at all. They have the beard and muffs instead. I honestly can't tell if that is a boy or a girl for sure, but I am leaning towards boy. I would be watching for any patches of color to start showing up on the wings.

EE's boys have a Pea comb (3 small ridges running paralell) and no wattle. It looks to me like she's trying to get the 3 ridge comb. But her coloring says girl to me. My silver ameraucanas and ee boys all have more color variation then she does by 8 weeks. I'm saying boy cause of the comb ridges that seem to be forming.

speckledhen - when do EE cockerels get wattles? Mine doesn't have any at all and it's yellow where they will be.
Most EEs don't get wattles if they have a pea comb. Ameraucanas do not have wattles, period.

I hope it's a pullet. Some of the pea combed birds can certainly trick you, but I would guess that was male if it was in my chicken yard. It may even get some reddish coloring showing up in hackles or wing bows or tail later on.

I'll be happy to be wrong, I promise! Post new pics in a couple of weeks for us, okay? Male of female, it's a nice looking Easter Egger.

Last edited:
I am going to say yours is a male his comb is really red and his legs are so thick.

This is my EE she will be 13 week tomorrow. Her comb is still pale it hasn't turned red yet.

Thanks, everyone, for the help. I will post pictures again in a couple of weeks and see what you think. He/she doesn't have any red/color on the shoulders or saddle yet, so I'm hoping that means girl, but so many other things point to cockerel. I guess we'll have to wait and see. That tail looks soooo boyish. I don't really see how it can turn into a hen-tail, but maybe!
hmm.png

speckledhen - the comb does look rather red, looking at it again when I went out to bring them inside. It does not seem very large, though - still sits pretty close to the head. I don't know if that makes a difference - this is my first time with non-single combed birds. Thanks for your help!
smile.png

Yes, please do post pictures in a couple of weeks for us! I'd really like to see what this one turns out to be. The comb is not as raised as most cockerels by this age though it's quite red, however, I have had some Ameraucana cockerels back when I used to breed them that would have this type comb at even older than yours is. Suddenly, it would just pop up at about 13 weeks old and then it would be obvious I had a cockerel.

I sweating it out with one of my EE's, Iris. I really wasn't sure about her until she was about 13-14 weeks. She also had a very pink pea comb, but never developed the larger three rows. I would guess pullet, but would love to see pictures in a few weeks. Beautiful bird, I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom