8 Weeks old Chick breathing very hard! I can see her whole body move while she is breathing!

This is a picture below of cornish cross meat birds where you can notice the thick legs and sparse feathers, and under that is a white leghorn with more slender legs:

upload_2018-11-4_9-33-59.jpeg

Photo by boykin

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-4_9-36-32.png
    upload_2018-11-4_9-36-32.png
    666.9 KB · Views: 3
Meat birds or broilers are usually meant for butchering around 6 to 8 weeks old. If they are kept past that time, they can develop leg issues and heart problems. She may just be very weak due to her being lost or orphaned by whoever hatched her from an egg. Some keep meat birds longer than butchering age, and restrict their diet so they move around to get to food, and limit the diet so they do not gain too much weight to put pressure on the legs. But it sounds like she needs all of the food she can get. Good luck with her, but I am worried that she may not live a long life.

Meat birds or broilers are usually meant for butchering around 6 to 8 weeks old. If they are kept past that time, they can develop leg issues and heart problems. She may just be very weak due to her being lost or orphaned by whoever hatched her from an egg. Some keep meat birds longer than butchering age, and restrict their diet so they move around to get to food, and limit the diet so they do not gain too much weight to put pressure on the legs. But it sounds like she needs all of the food she can get. Good luck with her, but I am worried that she may not live a long life.
How do I tackle these leg issues and heart problem? I can't bear to lose her and just want her to get well. I keep food and water around her at all times and she does eat a lot! I also give her scrambled or boiled eggs and have started Proviboost for her.

There is no treatment for a heart problem. Giving the vitamins can help with leg health, but it is not really clear whether she is a meat bird or egg layer. If her legs are slender, she may be an egg layer. Keep in mind that since you found her abandoned so young, she may always be weak or stunted. But you seem to be doing well by her.

Cou
There is no treatment for a heart problem. Giving the vitamins can help with leg health, but it is not really clear whether she is a meat bird or egg layer. If her legs are slender, she may be an egg layer. Keep in mind that since you found her abandoned so young, she may always be weak or stunted. But you seem to be doing well by her.
Could you please tell me what all I should be doing for an egg layer or a meat bird? I am afraid I don't know anything about chickens and haven't ever kept them before.
PS Thank you! I am trying my best because she is like my baby and I cannot lose her.

Back
Top Bottom