$80 to put a chicken down?

Pics

belindaschicks

Songster
Jun 8, 2016
I recently had to put my chicken down. She was suffering had only a few hours left In her. She couldn't stand and was breathing shallow for a few hours. She just wouldn't die on her own. I just got my bill today. I though 80 dollars to put a half dead chicken down was a little steep. What do you think?

:hugsSorry for your loss and that is pricey :eek: Assuming you went to a Vet, I wondering if your local Humane Society or some other agency would have been able to help you. Again sorry for your loss :hugs

I've had a break in animals but years ago (50yrs) my Vet would euthanized my animals at no cost and always gave me a box of tissue. Our humane society would euthanize when needed, no charge but I'd give a donation, figure they helping me out & the cost of meds. About 7yrs about I had to have my Chi euthanized, that was $300 but it included cremation & a little wooden casket.

Some vets can be real jerks! A few years ago I brought my suddenly dying dog to the emergency vet here (it was after hours for any regular vet), she lasted about 5 minutes after we got there before passing. The only thing they did was place an IV, no meds, no fluids, no X-ray, nothing at all given to her and then proceeded to tell us the bill would be about $300! They claimed it was for an “emergency exam”. (I threw a fit and refused to pay that much for nothing, we finally agreed on a much lower price)

Hate to say it but so far when it comes to chickens I've just done it myself. Same with all their medical care thus far. Like I had a bird that was mortally wounded by a hawk and I didn't want to make her wait for a vet or even someone else to do it, so taking care of it immediately felt like the right thing to me.

Dogs and even my rats I've taken to the vet, I know they'll do it right and take care of cremation as well.

I have always taken care of my own vet care with my chickens. I don't own firearms, or have a sharp ax/knife to kill her humanely at home. At the time this was the best option. I think I am going to talk to the manager and fight the charge. $80 for 3cc of anesthetic to put down my chicken seems a little insane.

I’ve taken my guinea pig and cat to the vet to be euthanized, it was over 10 years ago for my cat, but it was $40 CAD then... I don’t think in his aged state (17 and kidney failure) I could’ve done any better by him, especially considering my age (mid 20’s) and experience. (I stayed and held them both through until well after their end, despite the vets suggestions I leave the room)

I had to euthanize 3 of my hatchlings this year (CO2), my incompetence or maybe genetics led to severely slipped tendons I couldn’t correct. We also put down a horse (captive bolt, as used in our inspected abbatior). He couldn’t eat properly due to teeth issues, was in his late 20’s, a rescue, and had been coddled on the farm for about 7 years.

Stopping an animals suffering is paramount, when it gets to a point where they are not able to live without pain it is our responsibility to humanely help them. That doesn’t make it any easier for us. If we aren’t able to humanely help them ourselves, then a vet is needed. This is a cost of animal management and we need to prepare for it, Emotionally and monetarily.

Painful though it is for us, this is a large and often overlooked part or responsible animal ownership.

You knew the chicken was dying when you took it to the vet ? I really feel for people that cant do it themselves. Vets are making a killing sounds like to me. (no pun intended) I love my chickens as much as the next one but dont think I have one that I would pay that much for and if they didnt tell you the prices before the deed was done shame on them. I would find a different vet and tell them why.
Sorry for your loss

It was $50 to have my rabbit put down (pet rabbit, 9 years old! Totally lost movement in her back legs one day, didn't show any signs of recovering even after a week). So that's not so shocking to me. High? Sure. But also not insane. I expect the vet to cost $50-$100 just to walk in the door. That's why so many people with livestock treat at home. No way that $3 of eggs once a week is worth the cost of a SINGLE vet visit.

Back
Top Bottom