8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

I put my eggs into the 'bator very late on Tuesday (like, near midnight). I have another Silkie egg from another hen today...should I pop it in or will that just cause more problems at the end?

*Project Resurrecting Rosie*

I put my eggs into the 'bator very late on Tuesday (like, near midnight). I have another Silkie egg from another hen today...should I pop it in or will that just cause more problems at the end?

I have around 40-50 eggs in my bator with all different hatch dates. First time doing a staggered hatch but so far so good. I have a break in hatching this weekend, I plan to pull the eggs to an insulated box and quickly clean the bator (unless someone advises I don't risk cleaning it).

I'm new to hatching but just wanted to let you know you wouldn't be the only one with staggered babies if you decide to go for it.

Good luck and I really hope you get a Rosie baby!

Last edited:
Anyone near Peekskill ny with fertile eggs? Willing to drive 30-45 minutes. Thought I'd ask here

I'm in Ulster Park, NY. Not exactly sure how far that is.

I have some Silkie eggs and some Red Sex Link x Cochin eggs (should have other types in the Spring, but this is what's laying now). I put some into the incubator a couple of days ago, so will candle tomorrow to see if anything is happening (first time hatching eggs from these chickens). If you're interested, let me know.

Those Bielefelders are big chickens! I had to let one go because I can only have a small flock. She was soo sweet! Loved her. Here she is not even a yr. old yet.

She ate a lot. :D Notice how close she is to me. She would always come up to me,
follow me around.
I got lucky with last year's Thanksgiving HAL. I bought an assortment of eggs that included 3 bielefelders. I ended up with 2 hens and a roo, perfect for their own breeding tractor. This year I'll have some large breeds in the bator. Bielefelders, Cochins and Dark Brahmas as well as mutts. I think I'll even throw in some quail just because I can.

Well guys I'm upset that I will place my eggs in the bator on the 13th as my cinnamon queen eggs won't get here til Monday the 12th :( I'm thinking though that I could place the eggs I have ready on the 11th and then add the cinnamon queens the 13th. It's only a two day difference so they'll almost have the same lock down, I would think it's not a big deal but I think I'll give it a shot! Nobody ever knows until someone decides to try it out.

Last edited:

Sounds like we're on the same boat lol I

I say do it! If you add it today then it could hatch! If you don't put it in there at all then you will never know if it could have hatched instead of going to waste :) I would chance it as it's an irreplaceable egg.

Well guys I'm upset that I will place my eggs in the bator on the 13th as my cinnamon queen eggs won't get here til Monday the 12th
sad.png
I'm thinking though that I could place the eggs I have ready on the 11th and then add the cinnamon queens the 13th. It's only a two day difference so they'll almost have the same lock down, I would think it's not a big deal but I think I'll give it a shot! Nobody ever knows until someone decides to try it out.
The 13th still counts for the hatch a long!

Just took photo. This time its kind of on its side, other times its on its back back tho

Edit:

I have some almost 4 week old chicks inside right now, and when they were little, one of them would sleep like this. I thought he was dead, but he would freak out when I touched him. He acted totally normal and healthy otherwise, but when he would lie down to sleep, he would lay full on his back or stretched out on his side just like this.

Back
Top Bottom