8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

I had a slow poke finally hatch out here on day 22. The umbilical cord was still attached to the shell and the chick was dragging it's whole shell around by it's naval. After seeing pictures of another member's chick with intestines hanging out of the chick's naval, I got worried. Sooo, my husband held the wet chick in his hands while I carefully tied a piece of sewing thread to the cord and cut the chick free from it's egg shell. Before putting it back in the incubator I dabbed on some blue coat.

Last edited:

All 14 have movement and progression in their air pockets. Starting lockdown now.

Waiting anxiously for the humidity to go up and temps to stabilize so we know we're ready for the long haul.

7 have hatched so far and another is pipped. Still waiting on 2. Have 4 others that are due on Thursday. I'm at 80% for shipped eggs so I'm pretty excited about that.

Oye. Long day!

I'm now up to 14. I moved about half of the chicks around 130p and then took my nap. Got up around 330p and decided it was time to go ahead and move the rest since the newly hatched had fluffed up. After removing all the hatched birds, I move the remaining eggs towards the center and rotated the one that had the wrong pip. Confirmed it looked nonviable. Found another was pipped but it took me an hour or so before I noticed that it too, was pipped at the wrong end. It tried so hard to get out and I really thought it would make it. Number 14 hatched and eventually made it over to the chick, bumped it causing it to roll, so I got my tube in there to try to right it again. By the time I got it righted, movement in the egg had stopped, so I lost another :/

I have one egg that's pipped left, plus two others that don't look like they've done anything at all. I'm trying to wait on #14 to fluff so I can go ahead and move her. She's so lonely LOL Is there a good method of helping them fluff yourself, out of the incubator?

And pictures. Because.

Back
Top Bottom