8week old chick sneezing, boogers no eye discharge

Yes i mean mg i have also seen it refered to ms or csd maybe even... ok whatever it is it sucks. And it shares all the symptoms of coryza almost. I dosed based on several articles i read- .5cc for chickens and .25 for bantams, since my chicks are between 6 and 8 weeks i used .25 im giving that orally so i dont even know if they are getting it all down. Thinking about switching to shots for all of them tomorrow. Yippee 9 chickens to stick.... :'(

I did 1/2 cc under the skin in the back of the neck. Think of it as where the "scruff" would be on a cat or dog. I usually do it for 5 days, but I only did it for 3 this time. Just ran out of time.

So this morning when I go in the coop- more chicks sneezing. Joy. The sick birds continue to decline, but I have started the treatment of Tylan 50, now it looks like I just need to treat them all. I don't know what to do, its to the point if I separate every sneezing bird I don't have room. None of my 4 month old birds have gotten sick though. My turkey is sneezing but she has had sneezing issues since day one with no other signs of sickness. The bird I bought right before all this started had got to be where it came from, although I'm stumped because she spent more time with the grown birds and yet they are all healthy. I'm at a loss for what to do. If its coryza it will not transfer to the eggs so I can let all these grow up and hatch new chicks, but all them will be stunted in growth and egg development and I will have to continue to feed them in the mean time. If I cull all the sick ones now my fear is I will end up culling them all. Or If I don't cull them all when its time for my 11 chicks that aren't sick to come out of the brooder this will happen all over again. If I nurture them all back to health its closed flock- this is not what I had in mind, and if it is some form of mycroplasma then I risk the chance of infecting my friends flocks if they come visit they can't walk in my yard?? I would feel better if I didn't have to worry about a disease running rampent in my yard- but the thought of having my husband kill some 40 chicks doesn't really sound like a good alternative. This is an awful decision to feel forced to make.

Last edited:
This is not always your fault.

I have a closed flock. I'm absolutely paranoid about biosecurity because of some things I have seen and done at work. I don't wear street clothes out to care for my birds, and I don't wear farm clothes off the farm. My birds free range, but the groups have enough room that their paths rarely cross. I don't allow visitors. I never bring birds from anywhere else here. I hatched all our chickens except for the first birds, and those all came from a breeder who is careful. We haven't shown birds, and I am not sure I want to because of the quarantine needed to bring them home.

Well, I have one roo with goopy eyes and sinusitis, and he is from a group I do keep penned. None of the rest have anything, and it's been almost a week. I noticed some sneezing in the roosters we slaughtered some weeks ago, one reason I butchered them right then, in case it was something. But this one bird is now sick. I am treating him withTylan-50 (it's not working as well as I would like, so I'm starting Baytril tonight) but plan to have him tested if he dies or I euthanize him. I know what many people say about respiratory disease in birds, but I also know the statistics and the odds. I suspect it is IC.

It's a difficult decision to make. What if you had one or two tested and then decided what to do? Maybe the original bird and a chick or two? Contact your state veterinarian for information on how to have birds tested in your state. I'm sorry you are dealing with this.

I have noticed some bubbles in my girls eyes, i was thinking it was due to the cold? It goes away and they seem fine, I am a little worried now after reading all these posts, I am not really sure what to do? Should i treat them just in case? It is not a lot of bubbles and they go away. No sneezing, maybe a little runny nose, again I was thinking due to cold weather?

I called a feed store close by they recommended, Vetericyn

Thanks!
fl.gif

Here is a picture of what it looks like on my Orencia, it's very minimal, but very small bubble in the font of her eye, I am also thinking she is far sighted. As she has problems picking meal worms from my fingers if I hold it out. Oh please she is my favorite.. I am so nervous and not sure what to do!! Anyone???

I treated my bubble eye chickens with Tylan 50 injections.

I went through the whole IC, IB, MG thing last winter. None died from the bubbles in the eyes and I don't know which respiratory disease we had. If I remember correctly all the resp. diseases were going to either kill them or leave them as carriers. I would say maybe 1/4 of the flock was sick. Some were mouth breathing as well, but no sneezing.

I have no idea what it was/is. I don't see new birds getting sick so I have to think that there are no carriers. I just don't know.

I lost 3 or 4 birds to wet fowl pox though, and one lost an eye. That stuff is NASTY.

I don't even want to go out there tonight.... One minute I just feel I'd be best to cull the sickest ones- another I just feel like I should treat the whole flock with Tylan sick or not and close my flock for the time being. The intruder that brought all this here I would like to take back to the
barnie.gif
dude I bought her from and
he.gif
punch him right in the face.... o but that is so not nice. I may have to cull her since she was the culpret, even though anyone else is likely to spread it now.

I guess I'll just ride it out and see what each day brings.

And your chicken with the bubbling eye- it could be a ton of different things, something minor to something major. I haven't seen anyone post about that medicine but lots of people recommend the Tylan 50 and you can buy that at tractor supply for about $13. They will continue to be carriers if its something serious and can potentially infect other birds. Which is what I'm struggling most with I think.

Good luck!!

Thanks! Good Luck to you as well!

I am hoping it is nothing to serious, she has had it for a little bit, I have seperated her from the others and I am going to treat the all my birds.. I found out that Vetericyn is similar to the Terramycin powder which I will just put in their water. As I was instructed, I took all their water away for now, and will give them the treated water when I get home from work, that way they drink it up like crazy!

I am hoping it is just a pesky cold, I did add a new bird, so not sure if she brought it in or what... I don't much want to start over if it is something serious. I do have 5 other chicks in the house, and don't want them to get sick either.. Chickens are fun! This is certainly an experience!

That's the same shoes I'm sitting it, new chicks in the brooder.... this morning besides waking up voiceless, I went out to find something had gotten my only laying hen and her half eaten body was just lying there!!
hit.gif
I guess the Myans where right.

I may be over dramatic about this but i apparently totally suck at having chickens. As hard as it is for me to make the decision I've decided to cull the sick birds in order to save the rest. I may end up culling all my older chicks by the time its all over. And my turkey- I think shes sick as well. She hangs out with the chicks more than the adult birds, I've thought something was wrong with her all along she doesn't seem to have as much life as the chickens but I have no experience with turkeys. I don't want to be held responsible for anyone else's flocks getting sick, and biosecurty with a three year old isn't easy to practice, although I will be implementing some new rules. I feel awful like I could be making the wrong decision and killing chickens that just have compulsive sneezing problems... I am going to call around and see if we even have an extension office, I know there is one in our old state but I've never heard of one here.

Now I just need to know how to clean up all this mess...

In the meantime I'm going to be scouring all the information so I waln't feel responsible for anymore mistakes wiping out my flock!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom