8week old chick sneezing, boogers no eye discharge

mcoleman12

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 8, 2012
I think i have read every related form on here, i am now terrified. I have an 8ultra week old chick that started sneezing- after a day or two i realized it was snoring a high pitch snor and breathing through its mouth. I decided to seperate it from the others just in case. It havent moved it, i have had it since it was days old, im using pin shavings, i may have a ventilation issue, but none of the other chicks have issues. I cleaned its nose yesterday but the nasty boogers are back today. No eye anything, and the chick is still up and running. But today i notice in a totally different group of chicks one breathing out of its mouth but no nasal discharge. These chicks haven't been anywhere near each other. And my turkey is sneezing. I dont wanna kill them if i dont have to- but i have 40 8 week old chicks and i really dont wamt to loose them all. To top it all off we left town today and now i cant stop worrying, i may drive back home tomorrow :rolleyes:

Any help is greatly appreciated

Last edited:
It takes a little time and alot of doctoring to get them well. I never cull them but I do know that sick birds need more heat and little more care. I will check back let me know if you need some more advice or help. I will gladly help you with everything I know. I am not a vet but I have raised chickens 20+ years and live on farm and can raise about anything

I would put tylan 50 in their water. 3cc per gallon and give real sick one few drops orally to make sure it gets some medicine. I think that would be enough to get them well and the others to not get bad sick.

Thank you, I got some tonight and some Vet Rx- when I get home (which I may drive back tomorrow if I lose any more sleep over this whats the point of a vacation??) I think I'm going to try that for a few days if nothings changed.
If I see more chicks getting sick with the yucky boogers I may give the sickest ones the tylan 50 first. The day I left I noticed one in the main flock mouth breathing, but no high pitched wheezing or sneezing or boogers like the other sick one. So now all I have to do it think about it... and if I was home I know I have to spend like 3 hours in the barn at least- plus I was going to bring home 2 dz chicks... and I sure don't want anymore chicks to get sick if this is something major!

I have read to much information and now I'm just paranoid.

I would prefer only to use the tylan in worst cases because I don't want to create immunity- which I'm also anal about in humans. I know I had an overwhelming ammonia smell until I cleaned everything out so I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it. I didn't have any eye issues with the nose issues so I'm not really finding any forms specific to my questions. But I had my caretaker create more ventilation.

THANK YOU, so much for you help!

Last edited:
I finally got home tonight and sat in the barn for an hour- I have a few chickens sneezing but no discharge from their nose and only one mouth breathing, I used the Vet Rx on the ones that sneezed and put some in all their water. My first chick that got sick this time last week was still continually sneezing, mouth breathing and had crusty boogers on his beak and one eye looked matted but later was about half open. I was going to give him Tylan 50 but when I picked it up he was so pitiful, all the meat was gone on his beast bone and there was a concave spot in his chest, I just had my husband put him out of his misery. The other mouth breather got the Tylan.

I may have done this to myself though, the first of the month I got a new hen, and I didn't really know that I should quarantine her for as long as I know now. Anyway I did keep her up about a week and she seemed fine, but then last week I noticed she had her eye all matted shut. This is when my obsession of chicken diseases and bio security began... I quarantined her for 3 day and cleaned her eye once and she was fine. I really just assumed another chicken peaked her and the quarantining was more for her safety. But here 5 days later its matted again, I know this may not even be related and if she is a carrier its probably to late for all the rest right? I also started her on the Tylan because my husband said he didn't want to kill her yet. I have defiantly learned my lesson even if all this is a big scare and nothing serious. I'm designing our new barn and its going to have a special place for sick chickens. I'm going to create some chicken healthy concoction tomorrow and give them. Any more ideas of what to do?

Thank you I'm giving tylan 50 to them, I haven't put it in the water yet but the 8 in the sick brooder are getting it orally and the one large hen- I think the culprit by injection. From all my reading this is chronic and they will all be carriers right? I really had intended on raising and selling but I will not be to blame for spreading disease!! Does this kind of thing set in the ground? Do I need to burn my brooders? I have 11 chicks that are about 3 weeks and they are still in their brooder- i don't want to let them out ever if they are all just going to get sick!! I'm to the point of just crying.
hit.gif
I did read somewhere if it was coryza that there is a vaccine- Coryza-Vac - will this keep them from spreading it?

Isn't coryza the one that makes them have a bad smell to their breath? I thought that was tell tale sign.

Don't give up on them yet. I have supposedly had Mareks, wet fowl pox, and a respiratory disease of some kind (bubbles in the eyes), and most of my flock is going strong. I do use Tylan by injection when I see a respiratory isuue, espeicially the eyes. I treat if fast and I treat it hard. Birds don't give you much room for second guessing. I don't like antibiotics, but I like dead animals even less.

Hang in there, you may be amazed.

Yes, I'm really not positive between the ms and coryza because some people say strong smell and some people say you don't always have the smell. I'd be happier (if that's even possible at this point) with coryza because at least their eggs waln't be carriers. I'm riding it out at this point. I haven't noticed a smell so much but I'm going sniffing again in the morning. If they get to the point they are suffering my husband will deal with them but at this point its just one at a time. Thank you for all your help!!

Do you mean MG ? Mycoplasma gallisepticum?

I HATE ALL MYCOPLASMAS !!!!!!

Every species has their own, at least they aren't spread among my animals, but I sitll hate them. I am fighting mycoplasma in my goat herd so I can relate to that.

I went through your same pain last winter with older birds. I thought for sure I was going to lose them all and be out of the chicken business. Mine had bubbles in their eyes. I treated the bubbly birds with Tylan and held my breath. I was going to fog with oxine, (may do that for another problem I have), but never did. The bubbles cleared up, no other birds were infected, and all is well. I don't sell me chicks or eggs for hatching, but I am pretty sure it wasn't myco in my flock.I hope it isn't in yours either.

Back
Top Bottom