9" of Rain and a Muddy, Stinky, Mess of a Run...Any Advice?

Yes wood chips makes a huge difference versus shavings... shavings just get soggy, chips let the water through and provide drier patches for the chickens to stand on. Of course this only works if the drainage in the run is good - I have to assume the rain you got isn't the usual amount of rain you get if this is the first time with an issue.

I'm planning on using wood chips, I'm currently building the run. I have the initial layer of wood chips down and it poured yesterday. The yard was a swamp but the run wasn't. I do need to add more though. I need to get a pitch fork to turn it. I plan on adding leaves from the yard too. Good tips here, thanks everyone!

I'm going to have to do some minor trenching to help with drainage. We get a lot of rain over the course of a year, but its unusual to have so many days of hard rain. This rain is compliments of storm Alberto.

My DL gets all kinds of stuff thrown in it. This was after I just added yard waste and the chickens didn't get to it yet. It's a covered run.

20171126_121131.jpg

This is after it's been in there and worked over by the ladies.
Chicks in run.jpg

Horse folks use Stall Dry which is made of pumice and Sweet PDZ which is zeolite when they need to absorb moisture and odors in stalls. Both are porous and absorbant.
Will this work in a garden? Ours is a swamp. I need something to dry out the area in between the mounds where the plants are.

Back
Top Bottom