9 week old a Mille Fleur a cockerel?

BYChaymarket

Chirping
May 11, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello all! I don’t have experience judging what saddle feathers of a cockerel look like, but my 9 week old Mille Fleur seems to have some along with a big comb. Can anyone tell me with certainty if I’m looking at a cockerel?
I am happy to get closer photos if needed - they tend to run away from me.

Attachments

• IMG_1333.jpeg
    IMG_1333.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1334.jpeg
    IMG_1334.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1332.jpeg
    IMG_1332.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 41
Thank you, all.
He was raised along with another chick, which I am confident is a pullet. I will need to find a home for the cockerel eventually - when is the best time/age to separate them without causing too much trauma? As background, the cockerel and pullet just started sleeping up on the roost at night with the adult hens and away from their (adopted) mother.

Thank you, all.
He was raised along with another chick, which I am confident is a pullet. I will need to find a home for the cockerel eventually - when is the best time/age to separate them without causing too much trauma? As background, the cockerel and pullet just started sleeping up on the roost at night with the adult hens and away from their (adopted) mother.
Chickens are communal animals. They also don’t have a great memory 😁.

You have two issues. An unkeepable rooster and then a solo hen. The best time for you to remove him would be when you can BOTH find a rehome for the roo AND add a flock mate. They may fight for a minute but your chicken will be much more happy with a friend or two in the long run.

Once the old pullet integrates with a new bird or two, she’ll never remember the roo.

Chickens are communal animals. They also don’t have a great memory 😁.

You have two issues. An unkeepable rooster and then a solo hen. The best time for you to remove him would be when you can BOTH find a rehome for the roo AND add a flock mate. They may fight for a minute but your chicken will be much more happy with a friend or two in the long run.

Once the old pullet integrates with a new bird or two, she’ll never remember the roo.
OP says here they have other birds in the coop, so adding more friends is not necessary.

Whenever you find a new home for him they can be separated. There may be somewhat confused for a few days, but they'll settle down quickly.

OP says here they have other birds in the coop, so adding more friends is not necessary.

Whenever you find a new home for him they can be separated. There may be somewhat confused for a few days, but they'll settle down quickly.
??? First post asked if he was a cockerel. Follow up said he was raised with another chick. I never saw anywhere there was more than two birds total. Still don’t.

So, I still think op needs to add a friend if they’re cutting the flock to one.

Back
Top Bottom