9 week old lethargic chick

LemonyCatapult

Songster
Jul 27, 2018
London, Ontario
I have a chick that I hatched about 9 weeks ago who has just always acted lethargic.

She/he had sour crop early on that was treated, and most of my flock got a respiratory infection a couple weeks ago that they were all treated for and recovered from.

Through it all and even before and after, this chick just acts down. It eats and drinks and walks around with the flock but the tail is always down, head is tucked, and feathers a little ruffled. Is this a cause for concern? Thank

Attachments

• 0494B5AA-7A08-4F2A-BA30-5D43E688B54E.jpeg
    0494B5AA-7A08-4F2A-BA30-5D43E688B54E.jpeg
    448.6 KB · Views: 10
  • CAB64B1B-2FD1-45F5-89A8-1E9DDB363A72.jpeg
    CAB64B1B-2FD1-45F5-89A8-1E9DDB363A72.jpeg
    419.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 634C5231-A92D-4627-B2F6-F6A09A157A5B.jpeg
    634C5231-A92D-4627-B2F6-F6A09A157A5B.jpeg
    378.8 KB · Views: 9
Your bird looks sick. Crop problems at that age isn't a good sign. Lots of stuff could be going on, and it's near impossible to figure it out without more signs. Are these birds kept in your house? What do you feed them?

Your bird looks sick. Crop problems at that age isn't a good sign. Lots of stuff could be going on, and it's near impossible to figure it out without more signs. Are these birds kept in your house? What do you feed them?
I have this chick and its two siblings still in my laundry room where I hatched them as our coop is under renovations. They have all eaten medicated chick starter their whole lives. Thanks for the info, I’m really curious what it could be.

I have a chick that I hatched about 9 weeks ago who has just always acted lethargic.

She/he had sour crop early on that was treated, and most of my flock got a respiratory infection a couple weeks ago that they were all treated for and recovered from.

Through it all and even before and after, this chick just acts down. It eats and drinks and walks around with the flock but the tail is always down, head is tucked, and feathers a little ruffled. Is this a cause for concern? Thank
Did you ever treat for Coccidiosis?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/month-old-chick-with-possible-sour-crop.1277444/

I don't know - from the stance and your description, I would treat for Coccidiosis.
Could be the chick is just not thriving.

I would suspect coccidiosis as well by the stance of being hunched/puffed up. Other signs include poor appetite, runny poops with mucus or bits of blood. Corid from the feed store is the easiest treatment. Dosage is 2 tsp of the Corid liquid, or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water, as the only source. Treat all chickens at once, and it is safe.
Here is some reading about coccidiosis:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken/
upload_2018-11-27_16-28-6.jpeg

I would suspect coccidiosis as well by the stance of being hunched/puffed up. Other signs include poor appetite, runny poops with mucus or bits of blood. Corid from the feed store is the easiest treatment. Dosage is 2 tsp of the Corid liquid, or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water, as the only source. Treat all chickens at once, and it is safe.
Here is some reading about coccidiosis:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken/
View attachment 1601300
Thanks so much. I’m in Canada so I require a prescription from my veterinarian to get Corid. I live close to the border, is it worth trying to pick some up there?

Back
Top Bottom