911!!! feather eating, split beak, and a baby bobcat!!! HELP!!!!

Herroyalhenness

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 12, 2012
My New Hampshire reds...

Okay, So the problem bird of the flock is Milly, the NH red. She's decided she likes to pluck out everyone's feathers, and eat them. It now explains why my americauna, Mercy has a giant bald spot on her butt, and a tiny one on her back. I just caught her doing this yesterday, and now I don't know what to do with her. It's gotten to this level of concern because not only are we in the north, where there's still about a foot of snow on the ground, but it's gotten to the point where Mercy is bleeding, and Milly won't even let her feathers grow back. she just plucks them out when they start coming in. I don't want to cull her unless it's absolutely 100% necessary!

Problem 2: Henrietta has developed a split less than 1cm long on the front of her beak. She can still eat, but she's squacking her brains out at me, so I don't know if she's in pain. How can I fix her beak?

and then there's Bob/Bobbi... Yesterday, my mom saw a bobcat in your backyard, and found out it was just a baby. It was after the chickadees, but what do I do when it finds the flock? More fencing? Earlier chicken curfew (we have a door on our run, and close it at night so they can stay warm)? I know I can't protect them from everything, but the coop is already elevated off of the ground, and they have their own 10'x 6' enclosure (the fence also goes 6 inches into the ground) with a 5' high cieling (we also have owls, hawks, and the occasional eagle) and they have perches to play on, or to get out of a predator's reach. Do I need more reinforcements?

feather eating is a lack of protein in the diet. increase protein. feather pulling without eating it can be boredom. but eating feathers she's looking for protein.
split beaks can be CAREFULLY glued. DO not get the glue into the nostrils! this must be done with extreme caution!.
bobcat even a baby is extremely dangerous! you can call wildlife services to take it AWAY or get an electric shock fence to deter it but it needs to be removed.mother is close by i guarantee that.both need taken or trapped by the wildlife experts where they can regime them. this is a BIG problem. try to protect your chickens the best you can. this animal is extremely dangerous! to both YOU and your chickens. hope i answered your questions. hope this helps! best wishes.

feather eating is a lack of protein in the diet. increase protein. feather pulling without eating it can be boredom. but eating feathers she's looking for protein.
split beaks can be CAREFULLY glued. DO not get the glue into the nostrils! this must be done with extreme caution!.
bobcat even a baby is extremely dangerous! you can call wildlife services to take it AWAY or get an electric shock fence to deter it but it needs to be removed.mother is close by i guarantee that.both need taken or trapped by the wildlife experts where they can regime them. this is a BIG problem. try to protect your chickens the best you can. this animal is extremely dangerous! to both YOU and your chickens. hope i answered your questions. hope this helps! best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom