Kitkat1992

In the Brooder
May 24, 2023
I'm a newbie with ducks. I recently (about a month & half ago) purchased 4 at a farm store. 2 pekin & 2 Cayuga. Not to sure on sex.This illness has came on all of a sudden with 1 of the pekin. One morning(a few days ago) I let them out to the pen in the yard then later on that evening he/she didn't get up to come inside. Since then he/she has been progressively getting worse. Still eats & drinks but eating the Purina flock raiser feed is becoming only a few bites the whole day. He/she will eat bananas & earthworms all day though. Drinks water throughout entire day (not what it should be drinking). Usually quacks frequently, not so much now. thought it was a niacin deficiency. Been given vitamin b complex (1ml daily), poultry nutri-drench (almost 1ml daily), gatorlyte for today. Sometimes tries to move with wings.
The other pekin has always had an unusual sounding breathing but is now getting worse.. i believe the other 2 are sounding more like the pekin.
. Need advice on what I should do. & what this illness could possibly be. I do have fish antibiotics (angelplus.com) coming in the mail but won't arrive for the next 2 days. I don't want to lose any of these ducks so please help me

Symptoms:

Bright green poop (sometimes w/white) watery consistency
Weak
Vision may be off cause when I hand feed her ill have to put it in a certain spot for her to nibble
Won't use her legs to stand/walk (even in water only sorta uses 1 leg to paddle)
Shivers after getting in water (I bathe her 2 a day)
Breathing sounds like wheezing maybe labored breathing even
pale or discolored comb
Poor feeding response
Lethargic
Quack sounds different.

What antibiotic did you order?
Do you know of anything she may have eaten that could have been toxic, look around where they forage etc.
If she is chilling after bathing I would keep her out of the water until she is better. She may have a fever.
Sounds like they may have gotten into something that has made them sick, especially since there is no respiratory problems. There are flushes that you can try
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal.700526/ The activated charcoal is a good one. go right by the directions.

:welcome

What antibiotic did you order?
Do you know of anything she may have eaten that could have been toxic, look around where they forage etc.
If she is chilling after bathing I would keep her out of the water until she is better. She may have a fever.
Sounds like they may have gotten into something that has made them sick, especially since there is no respiratory problems. There are flushes that you can try
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal.700526/ The activated charcoal is a good one. go right by the directions.

:welcome
https://angelsplus.com/collections/fish-flake-food/products/medicated-antibiotic-flakes
Screenshot_20230525-152812_Chrome.jpg

Breathing doesn't sound normal.

The 3 have dark green poop. The one is still bright green.

Possibly something metal. I'm in the middle of making an enclosure for them as I dig I'm seeing pieces here and there.

If I do the flush, will it harm them if there's nothing toxic in their system?

How is she doing? @Kitkat1992
not so good. She's starting to eat less but still drinking water. Her vision is getting worse it seems. I've been feeding her these fish flakes but she'll only eat a few at a time. Not the amount she needs. When bathed, she doesn't move her feet at all still & now she starts to sink.. She look so miserable. Any advice on what to do? Screenshot_20230529-232224_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20230529-232206_Photos.jpg 20230529_210959_exported_37953.jpg 20230529_231113.jpg

Attachments

• 20230529_231113.jpg
    20230529_231113.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230529_231113.jpg
    20230529_231113.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230529-232206_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230529-232206_Photos.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 2
Yes i did the complex b & tried feeding her myself with syringe. I think i was to late on noticing the symptoms. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to save her. She passed yesterday morning 😭. Now I'm worried about the other 3 because they're starting to show signs of the same problem. I really don't want to go through losing all of them. Recently started giving Magic Water (apple cider vinegar, honey,, & garlic powder mixed with 1 gallon of water). Also been giving activated charcoal flush

Any advice on what would be the best way to knock this out of their system? La-200? Draxxon?

Back
Top Bottom