911!!

There are soooo many things that can go wrong in a chicken's body. Their reproductive systems are so prone to problems. Their lungs can be so fragile. They are susceptible to so many illnesses. I've seen similar poop pics on BYC from cancer, serious injuries, infections.... My own girl had black poop before passing from salpingitis.

And if you send her for necropsy, you won't be able to bury her, but you might be able to prevent other chickens from getting whatever she had. Getting a necropsy for my girl Magnolia helped in that I realized there was nothing more I could have done for her and that my other chickens weren't going to catch some awful infectious disease. Also, talking with the technicians, they gave me info on how she might have gotten the infection and how I might be able to prevent it in others. Without that, I would have been left guessing. But I was very sad that I never got to bury her. I still am.

I'm not telling you what I think you should do, but I thought sharing my experience will help you make an informed decision.

I am very, very sorry for the losses you've shared with us. You are clearly a strong person. Virtual hugs...
:hugs

Rodent bait. Is there a chance that rat or mice bait has somehow gotten withing range of your chickens? Rodents can often bring the bait in from places you think are safe from chickens getting into it. If you have neighbors, rodents may have brought the bait from their house to their nesting spots in your yard and these chickens that have died all may have picked some up. It would explain away some of the mystery. http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/rodenticide-toxicity

As to the question about the lab returning her to you, if you request that, they probably would, but her body would have been dismantled.

Don't feel like a failure! You did everything you could. Figure out what is wrong with your flock and fix it. I had my 2 day old chick die in my hands and I cried for so long. He was special to me. The night before I woke up every 2 hours to check on him.
I’m trying! I just can’t help but feel really scared that it’s going to keep happening like this..where boom I have another one and it’s too late & nothing works. I kept her like @azygous suggested to try and find someone to do necropsy. Sad I won’t have her buried here with her other friends but I’m thinking of it that Charlie is going to help the rest of her remaining flock!

There are soooo many things that can go wrong in a chicken's body. Their reproductive systems are so prone to problems. Their lungs can be so fragile. They are susceptible to so many illnesses. I've seen similar poop pics on BYC from cancer, serious injuries, infections.... My own girl had black poop before passing from salpingitis.

And if you send her for necropsy, you won't be able to bury her, but you might be able to prevent other chickens from getting whatever she had. Getting a necropsy for my girl Magnolia helped in that I realized there was nothing more I could have done for her and that my other chickens weren't going to catch some awful infectious disease. Also, talking with the technicians, they gave me info on how she might have gotten the infection and how I might be able to prevent it in others. Without that, I would have been left guessing. But I was very sad that I never got to bury her. I still am.

I'm not telling you what I think you should do, but I thought sharing my experience will help you make an informed decision.

I am very, very sorry for the losses you've shared with us. You are clearly a strong person. Virtual hugs...
:hugs
No you actually really did help me! I decided Charlie would want to help her remaining friends from suffering same fate. Xoxo so thank you. I do know it’s the right thing to do.

Rodent bait. Is there a chance that rat or mice bait has somehow gotten withing range of your chickens? Rodents can often bring the bait in from places you think are safe from chickens getting into it. If you have neighbors, rodents may have brought the bait from their house to their nesting spots in your yard and these chickens that have died all may have picked some up. It would explain away some of the mystery. http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/rodenticide-toxicity

As to the question about the lab returning her to you, if you request that, they probably would, but her body would have been dismantled.
I personally don’t use mouse poison I don’t like it or agree with it(that’s just me I’m not judging others)BUT if my chickens are dying from my neighbors I’m going to be not a happy camper. My neighbors live a bit away but not saying it isn’t plausible. I’m just not quite sure honestly.. if it is or isn’t within enough distance to be likely?

I'm so sorry you are going through this grief with losing these chickens. It's deeply scary not knowing what is causing this. I was perplexed over the mucous in the mouth and the black substance in the poop, and both those symptoms can indicate poisoning. Usually, toxic poisoning kills quickly, but rodent poison kills slowly.

I'm glad you are going to fight for some answers. Call here and they will be able to tell you where to get the necropsy.

Animal Health Diagnostic Center​

240 Farrier Road
Ithaca, NY 14853
Phone: (607) 253-3900
Fax: (607) 253-3943
Email: [email protected]
Business Hours
Monday-Friday:
8:00am-5:00pm
Saturdays (limited service):
9:00am-1:00pm

@B_Chickle01 , I have followed along silently during your hard fight to save your Charlie. I am so sorry she didn't make it.

You must surely be exhausted by now. And being as today is Friday, you may need to get her body to a lab for necropsy Today. (Unless the lab performs necropsies on weekend days too.) Meaning you may need to drive her there yourself. If that is the case, a friend or family member who will drive while you ride along as a passenger would be easier for you. Exhaustion and distress are never good combinations, especially when driving.

Re your sadness at not being able to bury her, after her necropy is completed you may be able to request cremation and have her ashes returned to you. Also, consider clipping a few of her beautiful feathers to keep. And you (and your kids) can still make a memorial to Charlie. For example you can make a gravestone by painting a rock with her name on it, you can hold a backyard memorial service with your kids, & you can bury her feathers if its really important to you to at least have a part of her there.

During Charlie's last hours, she surely felt your comfort and care. Her opening her eyes to gaze directly at you just before she passed was her way of showing her gratitude. I hope that by having a necropsy performed, you can learn her cause of death and prevent future losses in your flock.

Back
Top Bottom