A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone could help with a question about getting the bees ready for the winter.

We plan to leave a super of honey on each hive over the winter.

When you treat the bees with api-guard for Verroa do you need to take of those supers while you treat of can they stay on?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

John

I'm new to bee keeping too, and my bees are varroa mite resistant, so don't know much. Try sprinkling powdered sugar on the bees, half a cup for each deep. Hope this helps

Hello. 

I was wondering if anyone could help with a question about getting the bees ready for the winter.

We plan to leave a super of honey on each hive over the winter.

When you treat the bees with api-guard for Verroa do you need to take of those supers while you treat of can they stay on?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

John
If API guard is a chemical if suggest taking off the super

if you plan on eating the honey from that super next year the chemical will be in the comb and will affect the honey.

Not trying to change the subject but what is the best book or books for a potential newbie? Bees are in the five year plan but my husband is on the fence about them.

Not trying to change the subject but what is the best book or books for a potential newbie? Bees are in the five year plan but my husband is on the fence about them.

I'm not usually a proponent of the "dummies" books, but Beekeeping for Dummies is very well laid out. I also have Hive Management, but IMO it's more for once you get started than for someone that hasn't done any beekeeping yet. I read it before I started with my hives, and some of it was a bit more involved than the basics.

Back
Top Bottom