A Bielefelder Thread !

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by faysel, Dec 3, 2012.

1. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    I'll be purchasing Bielefelder eggs from a nearby breeder in a couple weeks and was wondering...do Biels require any changes in "typical" feed? For example, higher protein content since they're a larger bird? Or has anyone experimented at all with changing their feed?

I only ask because I just hatched eleven Naked Neck Turkens and one of the breeders I'd purchased eggs from recommended supplementing with game bird feed (26% protein) up to 4 weeks of age and keeping their protein intake no lower than 18% even in adulthood to support their heftier frames and muscular bodies.

2. RFR of CA

RFR of CA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Herald California
    My little ones are on 21% crumble and doing fine. My adults eat 16% layer like everyone else. They are not as heavy as my english orpingtons, but they are big birds.

PS: To previous poster: laying between a long fall molt and winter it has been almost zero. Now that molt is over, I decided to put an extra 5 hrs of light on them and I am starting to get eggs again. I have seven hens and get 4 or so daily, but it is only January. They are extra large eggs and seem about the same size as when they were pullets. This is their second season. They are almost one now.

Christine

Rare Feathers Ranch

[​IMG]

3. jbkirk

jbkirk A Learning Breeder

So this is their second laying winter? Thanks MK

PS the reason I've been asking all these Questions is because I'm considering getting some[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  4. RFR of CA

RFR of CA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Herald California
    No they were hatched 2/14. 1st season was last summer. This is now the start of their second. Got 5 eggs today from my 7 which is about typical right now.

1 person likes this.
  5. jbkirk

So they really are the chicken their supposed to be!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Ron Skekel

Ron Skekel Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Slidell,La
    I love mine. They are sweet and doscle.No agressive roosters here. Plus their gorgous!!!! Pam
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    Absolutely beautiful! And that hen looks huge!!!
    I'm going up to Scottsdale in a couple weekends to get a dozen fertile Biel hatching eggs. I can't wait to have a flock of these guys after everything I've read! Biels and NN Turkens will be my two focus breeds for eggs and meat.

1 person likes this.
  8. jbkirk

So how many eggs do yours lay average in a week?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  9. ChinoChix

ChinoChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Chino Valley, AZ
    My Coop
    I am so excited about this breed. I have some 3 weeks old hens that I hatched and 5 more hatched overnight, only one roo in the bunch! They are such pretty birds.

[​IMG]

That's a little Serama with them.

1 person likes this.
  10. Ron Skekel

Ron Skekel Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Slidell,La
    You will love them. I have only hatched my eggs so far. Pam

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by