A Bielefelder Thread !

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by faysel, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Ron Skekel

Ron Skekel Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Slidell,La
    Mine have only been laying about a month. I have got 4 to 6. I've had more 6 a week than 4. Some of the eggs are the biggest I've seen as far as chicken eggs. Pam

2. Ron Skekel

Feb 24, 2013
    Slidell,La
    They are hudge. The rooster is bigger than my hens the pic was taken from a greater distance. You will love them!

3. jbkirk

jbkirk A Learning Breeder

So they are laying even better than my young black Austrolorps, This is making me really want to get them!!!![​IMG]

4. Ron Skekel

Feb 24, 2013
    Slidell,La
    My black australorp is a few months older and lays the same so far the only draw back I had was waiting for them to lay. Mine are the last import they are bigger I'm told and read on this forum , and take longer to lay so mine were almost 8 months old when they started. Pam

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I raised mine on a basic starter which was 20% and i run mine on a 16% grower, they have thrived, and forage very well.

1 person likes this.
  6. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Very nice, yes i completely agree, they are very docile my big boy doesn't fuss if you need to hold him... they all just big poofy birds lol

7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    For the sake of reference..

Here is a Bielefelder hen on the left and a Maline on the right, i keep my Biele's with Malines..

[​IMG]

A snap of one the hens by herself.. they are getting used to snow but i still think they'd like their grass back. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. jime

jime Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Elizabeth, CO
    Going Quackers: What about the difference in the boys I was thinking on adding maligns thinking that will be a good dual pour pose I love the size of the Bellies because all boys that I don't sell go to the pot so will that work with the maligns or are lots smaller. Thanks

9. ChickCollector

ChickCollector Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2014
    [​IMG]
    He my beautiful rooster

1 person likes this.
  10. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I don't own any Maline roosters, i only chose hens.. i admit to waffling on the choice of adding a rooster period and opted in the end to get my Biel boy. I've seen Maline roos at the breeder i got my Malines from.. they were quite big, i am not sure though the actual differences in overall sizing.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by