A Bielefelder Thread !

Absolutely beautiful! And that hen looks huge!!!
I'm going up to Scottsdale in a couple weekends to get a dozen fertile Biel hatching eggs. I can't wait to have a flock of these guys after everything I've read! Biels and NN Turkens will be my two focus breeds for eggs and meat. 

They are hudge. The rooster is bigger than my hens the pic was taken from a greater distance. You will love them!

So they are laying even better than my young black Austrolorps, This is making me really want to get them!!!!
roll.png

So they are laying even better than my young black Austrolorps, This is making me really want to get them!!!!:rolleyes:

My black australorp is a few months older and lays the same so far the only draw back I had was waiting for them to lay. Mine are the last import they are bigger I'm told and read on this forum , and take longer to lay so mine were almost 8 months old when they started. Pam

I'll be purchasing Bielefelder eggs from a nearby breeder in a couple weeks and was wondering...do Biels require any changes in "typical" feed? For example, higher protein content since they're a larger bird? Or has anyone experimented at all with changing their feed?

I only ask because I just hatched eleven Naked Neck Turkens and one of the breeders I'd purchased eggs from recommended supplementing with game bird feed (26% protein) up to 4 weeks of age and keeping their protein intake no lower than 18% even in adulthood to support their heftier frames and muscular bodies.

I raised mine on a basic starter which was 20% and i run mine on a 16% grower, they have thrived, and forage very well.

For the sake of reference..

Here is a Bielefelder hen on the left and a Maline on the right, i keep my Biele's with Malines..

A snap of one the hens by herself.. they are getting used to snow but i still think they'd like their grass back.
tongue.png

Going Quackers: What about the difference in the boys I was thinking on adding maligns thinking that will be a good dual pour pose I love the size of the Bellies because all boys that I don't sell go to the pot so will that work with the maligns or are lots smaller. Thanks

Going Quackers: What about the difference in the boys I was thinking on adding maligns thinking that will be a good dual pour pose I love the size of the Bellies because all boys that I don't sell go to the pot so will that work with the maligns or are lots smaller. Thanks

I don't own any Maline roosters, i only chose hens.. i admit to waffling on the choice of adding a rooster period and opted in the end to get my Biel boy. I've seen Maline roos at the breeder i got my Malines from.. they were quite big, i am not sure though the actual differences in overall sizing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom