A Bielefelder Thread !

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by faysel, Dec 3, 2012.

1. jbkirk

jbkirk A Learning Breeder

Now for more Questions. At what age do they start to lay? Can you candle the eggs very well?
    Please answer with your own experience even if someone else has already answered!!!!!!
    Thanks MK

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  2. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Thank you for the input. I always wonder about health issues with over-sized breeds of any animal. This is one breed where the hens are just about as pretty as the cocks. I guess that's true of the auto-sexing breeds. [​IMG]

3. Ron Skekel

Ron Skekel Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Slidell,La
    Thats the only draw back mine took 7 1/2 months waiting was driving me nuts. Pam

4. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Ok so 2 days in the week I have gotten 2 eggs..... One pullet is obvious she is laying with a nice red comb..... Is it possible the other is laying without the red red comb? Her comb is still small and not really red like a layers comb.

5. jbkirk

Thanks guys[​IMG] and if anyone else has more Opinions please post them!!![​IMG]

6. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville

7. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    I'm right there with you. I'll start incubating my first Biel eggs this weekend. I desperately want it to be worth the investment.

1 person likes this.
  8. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    Have you checked the vent of the pullet in question? The condition of the vent can perhaps give you a clue if it's moist and stretched rather than dry and tight. (In any other context that statement would sound horribly lascivious. [​IMG])

If they've just started laying it is possible that one pullet lay 2 eggs in one day. When they're this young their little bodies are still adjusting to the new activity, so more than one egg per day, eggs with soft shells or no shells, eggs within eggs, multi-yolk eggs, etc are all possible.

9. jbkirk

So is it supposed to be TWO eggs in TWO days or two eggs twice.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  10. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by