A Bielefelder Thread !

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by faysel, Dec 3, 2012.

1. RFR of CA

RFR of CA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Herald California
    My bieles lay less often than my BCMs but many have eggs almost as dark as my lightest marans. Most of my marans are much darker, but the Bieles do have a fairly large color swing from light to dark brown. They are a heavier bird and do break more eggs with their heavy bodies though which is annoying. I am working on a roll out nest box to hep solve this.
    Bieles are more gentle tempered, if a bit dull witted [​IMG]

I find that the marans eat more really, but they are also a lot more active and also produce xl to jumbo for me almost daily :)

In the pic below are all marans and bielefelder eggs.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. RFR of CA

RFR of CA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Herald California
    Oh the roosters are HUGE by the way. I took one to a sale and his cage was above a goose and a turkey and all swore he was the same size!

The person who bought him joked that he could probably ride him home [​IMG]

3. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    My friend and I noticed that cockerels can really get harassed by hens until they become fully mature. I think that's why breeders keep the cockerels separated until they grow up a bit. My friend's two Marans cockerels and EE cockerel got throttled by the hens in the flock.

4. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    No offense meant but I don't completely agree about the breeding line/strain explanations so much any more. My friend and I had two different varieties of Marans from two different sources and all 4 hens were "pills" in the flocks. We decided they were best kept in flocks of their own breed the way assertive Leghorns or Mediterraneans are best kept with their own class.

Pecking order has to be established for community harmony even between gentle Favie and Amer flocks. It's a chicken thing no matter what the breed is. For instance, Ameraucanas are generally sweet non-combative birds in a mixed flock yet I found that between 2 sisters I had ordered one took an assertive role over her sister while in isolation before they were integrated into the backyard group.

However I am inclined to believe there are some breeds that characteristically have attributes and temperaments beyond anything a breeder can do to eliminate unless cross-breeding is used to make gentler hybrids of the original breeds (i.e. Austra Whites, California Whites, California Greys, Sexlinks, Olive Eggers, etc). I love all breeds of chickens, even "mutts", so I'm not anti any breed -- just need to have wisdom about what fits my particular situation/needs in a backyard flock and thru experience/sharing with other owners, there is usually a consensus about the nature/temperament of certain breeds that emerges no matter who or where the chicken was raised/bred. Just sharing what's transpired from experience and comparison notes. JMO [​IMG]

5. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Quote:
    I don't know that handling Marans a lot as chicks makes that much difference. The breeder I got my Cuckoo from had 4H girls and home-schooled that raised and handled all their birds a lot. They ordered quality stock and after going off to college the mom now concentrates on raising rare Coronation Sussex. My Marans came to me very tame toward humans and calm. However she was a pill to the rest of my hens and was a poor layer of golf-ball round eggs of poor egg chart color. My friends BCMs were another variety that were handled a lot as chicks but grew up very bossy and nippy in the flock - they layed 1 more egg/week more than my Cuckoo but still nowhere the color of darker eggs on the Marans charts. The poor attitude toward their flockmates, their lazy foraging skills, huge appetite, and less-than-stellar egg color/production were enough for us to re-home them. Just one of these problems would not be enough to cause re-homing but all combined together made for an impossible flock environment. We came to the conclusion that Marans like assertive Leghorns/Mediterranean class breeds should only be kept in their own groupings. This again is just my experience and opinion. I applaud anyone taking on the task of raising Marans but it's not for me.

6. Ron Skekel

Ron Skekel Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Slidell,La
    I don't know if it will make a difference but I will try. If it doesn't work than by,by. I'll sell them. Pam

7. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville

8. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

9. elizmartin

elizmartin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    N.W. Washington
    Hello Sylvester017,
    I do agree with most of what You said….Attitude and temperament is breed specific, there are the gentler breeds and the more aggressive breeds and the variables in-between. Environment, having enough feed to eat and enough feeders and what is fed can all have bearing too as well as the time of year too...

I used to have 2 Cuckoo Marans and they were peaceful, I now have 2 BCM x Faverolles and they are the bottom of the pecking order.

I have a black Faverolles project….Dad and Granddad were temperamentally awesome, (mother-mild)….the 2 full sons i have are different. One is built well and sweet but has some gold shoulder leakage. The other is totally black less conformationally correct and aggressive. I'm keeping the one with the leakage...

10. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.
    We have a pair and our boy is the sweetest..
    He is now at a new home with a larger flock..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by